Rear inside door handle does not work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear inside door handle does not work

mike42092

Reaction score
City, State
Oak Creek, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
The inside rear door handle i have found does not open the door but i can open the door using the outside door handle. I have checked the child safety lock and that is not the case. Can someone tell me how i should go about fixing this problem and approximatly how much it will cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably is just bad inside door handle, they are pretty cheap i think like $30.

The gears in the handle are probably wore out. You'll have to take the door panel off and then remove the handle and replace it. I think you can get them at most auto parts stores just make sure you get the one for the side it's on. Or you can pick one up at a junkyard that's what I did but I was there getting some other parts already.

It's a fairly common problem but an easy fix.

Im used to dealership pricing lol.

I can remember buying those from Amazon.com. Dealership prices are high. But some auto supply stores are even higher. You really have to shop around whenever you buy auto parts.

Don't get the cheapos on ebay. They don't last. I'd bet the Dorman handles from AZ are okay. I put a little grease in the gears when I replace these or have the door panel off.

Back