Polished intake and other stuff | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Polished intake and other stuff

Here's what I did with a sheet of 220 grit and about a half hour of work....NOT!! lol.

Just waitin' on tranny parts so I went a little polish crazy. No powder coating here baby.

Enjoy.

DSCN0179.jpg

DSCN0180.jpg

DSCN0191.jpg

DSCN0184.jpg

DSCN0182.jpg

DSCN0195.jpg

DSCN0186.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks sweet, what did you use?

Thanks. I used 50, 80, 150, 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 2000 paper, fine steel wool, Mothers Mag and Wheel Polish, a buffing wheel, Dremel tool, vibrating sander, a flat file for some parts. Mostly it was my fingers with tape wrapped around that did all the work. The rims must have something added to the aluminum because they'll only polish to a semi-mirror finish.

yeah, what did you use?

Thats intake is pretty sweet!

Polishing the intake took a long, long, long time. Did I say long? You wouldn't believe how much work it takes. If you want to get just a taste of how much work it takes, try polishing just a little spot on yours and then imagine doing the whole thing that way. This is the first and last time I'll polish an intake. :) My fingers are still healing.

That is one crappy porous casting they used. The major grunt work is just knocking it down past the pores with 50 grit. Getting into the curves and corners is a total pain in the ass as well.

So, what the heck. You see so many dirty rusty 4.0's. It's nice to see one all cleaned up.

Even with my fingers wrapped in electrical tape they still got messed up.
DSCN0199.jpg

DSCN0203.jpg

DSCN0200.jpg

Wow I can't believe you did that by hand, you know they sell polishing bits for drills and dremels.

Dude i give you props for the dedication, that was one tedious and difficult job you deserve two :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wow I can't believe you did that by hand, you know they sell polishing bits for drills and dremels.

Dude i give you props for the dedication, that was one tedious and difficult job you deserve two :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks. I used a Dremel tool with a sanding drum for some spots. The problem was it would leave marks that I'd end up having to sand out again anyways. Same thing with the polishing wheels. For the big sections I used a vibrating sander. But in the end, to get a smooth finish there was no way around just doing it old-school.

ShadowdogKGB what was the average time it took to done this. I might try it with a flapwheel sander for angle grinder.

It took hours a night, must have been two weeks at least. I didn't have a flap wheel or I would have tried that. If it's a heavy duty one I think it would be worth a try. The hard part is knocking down the porous surface. The quicker and easier it's done the better. I used 50-grit paper, a vibrating sander, a file, anything that would grind that stuff down to clean metal. That was the worst part.

Nice job! I know exactly how your fingers feel, I spent 8yrs doing body work and several more painting private jets and helis. Think about all the polished alum. on the leading surfaces of a jet.....
Really good work though, keep it up, you've got something to be really proud of there!

Looks damn good buddy!

Back