Poor MPG. I get 80 miles with 10 gallons of fuel. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Poor MPG. I get 80 miles with 10 gallons of fuel.

Icuff4cash

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 aerostar awd
I have no clue everything was replaced I even did oxygen sencer I pass emissions when I bought it the fuel system had been service new filters pump and something with the fuel injection I believe the old owner said a lot of pressure built up and some thing let lose and pumped fuel in the engine bay flooding everything and most of the fuel system was replaced it even got into the ac were both ac units front and rear had to be replaced totally at a cost of over $2,500. It starts on half a crank idles good and smooth. My only problem is if I stop quickly and turn the key when I restart the van it will restart but idles ruff for 5 seconds were if I drive away it would stall. I haven't pulled a plug to see how it's burning. I here it's a bear. When cold and choak is on it smells like almonds not hydrocarbon smell. Beside the 4x4 relay unplugged it's great I'm doing Mantance stuff my records I got said oil, air was done 10,000 ago they used amsoil oil and perolator filters. I'm stump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can access the four front plugs by removing the front tires and a long extension/swivel.

Thank you I was confused about that some old forum post said that,some said put a whole in the fender well flap and some said the rear is done from dog house. I'm just stump this thing runs smooth drives fantastic I'm just doing maintenance stuff I want to take it for a long run maybe 1+2 hour drive. It has 150,000 and loaded. Since I have MD I can't be stranded in the middle of the Vegas no mans land. So my driving is city. What kind of radio did ford put in these vans mine has back control unit for passengers it seams pretty advanced for 94 and dual ac units. Is there a catolog company that does after market parts. I know you can buy explorer bronco 2 even old ford truck parts. I would like new carpet kit mine are stained in the passenger area and sun visors the blue cloth has some dry rot cracks in the corner.

Clean the mass air flow sensor with CRC MAF spray, add Techron to the fuel tank, and use Seafoam in the vacuum line. You will get a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust system for several minutes so don't get into a panic. Seafoam does this.

Still stumped

I replaced just about everything I could think of,I even ran a scan and no codes found . Just the EAWD code for the t case sencer and I been driving a month unplugged and the previous owner 2 years. I'm getting less than 10 mpg in town. Drives great and the trans shifts firm when it runs threw the gears. I would have though I would pull a code but I received all codes clear message.my tires are correct air is 40 psi.

Brooklyn

I did what you mention and this is what I found. My mas was dusty I took it off the hose and sprayed it there was a coating of dust. I don't know why there's a Napa select air filter on it. Could dust pass threw the filter?. Second I removed the hose to the throttle body. Crap city there's a sticker on the throttle body saying do not spray anything in the throttle area?. I looked at the brass butterfly and its coated with gum and there's a ring of gum were the butterfly closes around the opening. I sprayed some crc cleaner took a rag and wiped some gum off. Should I do the spray seafoam treatment or do the vacuum line treatment which created smoke. I've never had a carb were there was sticky gum on the butterflies. You think this is my 10 mpg problem. I've owned the van since Saint pats day and went through 3 full tanks of gas and used tectron hd fuel injection cleaner.

Only use fuel injection safe throttle body cleaner spray (no carburetor cleaner). The wrong spray could ruin the oxygen sensor. I'm sure that your mileage will improve even without Seafoam once everything is clean.

I did that it came in a double blister pack from crc map and throttle cleaner. It was like snot in there I wiped with a rag but the ring around the butterfly is thick

Still crapy mpg

Since Saint pats. Day when I bought the pug shuttle my gas milage is crap. 180 miles on 20 gallons of gas. I have done everything I could think of.replace parts cleaned parts ran my scanner no codes. My only code is my awd unit and I have it unplugged under the drivers seat. My tires are good good air pressure.

Is it reaching the proper temp? The temp should be around 190-210 degrees at the thermostat housing. don-ohio :)^)

I don't have a number gauge but my needle is at the 11 o'clock spot. I've cleaned everything replaced all filters pulled plugs there burning clean not wet or sutty. And I replaced the oxygen sencer by the right side by the oil filter. I'm getting 180 miles as I hit the red line. It takes 20 gal of gas so I'm at less than 8 mpg. It don't run ruff idles smooth. But when cold and you start it the fumes will kill you but it runs so smooth. When it warmed up if I drive it shut it down if you restart it it will still idle smith but will stall unless you rev it a few times other wise it will stall when dropped in gear.

Have you absolutely ruled out any vacuum leaks? don-ohio :)^)

Duh no I haven't even looked. The original owner told me she had a massive fuel leak which entered into the ac system. I can't figure out how this would happen but she spent just over 3 grand and had to replace both units dash and passenger unit in the back. I could see there new even the compressor is a new non ford unit. And hoses. My silver can on the passenger fender were the ac goes into the dash gets a coating of frost on it when the ac is turned on. I fact the van is like a icebox. I live in Vegas and ac is used 8 months and never did I have a car were the ac was this cold. Coming out of the vent I'm at 43 temperature. So it's possible a vacuum line is bad but it runs smoothly start at a key tap go gas pedal needed. It's only ruff on restarting then smooth out in 5 seconds

I get around 7 MPG or less on my 1995 van with a 3.0L engine. Don't expect to get 23 or 25 MPG out of it like they advertised when it was new. Those ratings weren't accurate even when it was new. An old engine can't be as efficient as a new engine unless you want to rebuild it, and get a computer with a custom tune. I don't think that's possible for an EEC-IV system unless it's custom made.

Ok then I can stop being an ass and stop complaining. I get 180 miles to a tank of city stop and go. If I drive 10 miles a day it's a lot. In Vegas you can walk to any corner every housing development has a complete set of stores from Wally World to a mc Donald on each corner am/pm bk and if I see any more subways I'll die. So driving a mile max to a store is a lot. I run full sys oil. Any thoughts on diff oil I read on the site that the Dana 28 up front uses atf. But some say the don't use the atf and run sys gear oil 40/70 and sys 90 in the rear. I'm scared about messing with the trans. At 150,000 it's not pink it's a light rust no smell of burning. When you change oil and filter in a old unit you can wake up gremlins. They want $150 in Vegas to drain all fluid and replaced filter. Is that fair. I'm using royal purple. Do you think sys now might hurt the trans. My friend used hot shot stichion cleaning fluid. He swares by this but he has an f350.

Royal Purple is supposed to be good. A lot of members on this site use it as well as Amsoil. Mobil 1 is also good, and cost less. Only use the type of fluid which is intended for that differential.

Well,on my 1994 4.0, I get 19mpgs without even trying,but not in the city driving. Just all around and mostly 25 mile open road trips to and from work. don-ohio :)^)

I get around 7 MPG or less on my 1995 van with a 3.0L engine. Don't expect to get 23 or 25 MPG out of it like they advertised when it was new. Those ratings weren't accurate even when it was new. An old engine can't be as efficient as a new engine unless you want to rebuild it, and get a computer with a custom tune. I don't think that's possible for an EEC-IV system unless it's custom made.

yes.ford blew it on the aerostar as far as mileage.ive read articles that the aerostar was designed to get 40 miles per gallon.i realize that they ended up doubling the size of the engine and adding lots of weight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wonder how many more foreign automakers besides VW and Mitsy are lying to sell cars?
Like I said....I have never had a problem with Aerostar mileage. With the Eddie 4.0 when it had less than 150K, I got 20-22 on the road.
Something I never quite sorted out dropped its mileage to 17 or so after the 150K mark. I had it til 244K,I believe. don-ohio :)^)

Back