Popping noise from front end when turning left (Have Video) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Popping noise from front end when turning left (Have Video)

lucas3309

Reaction score
City, State
Cary, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 4x4 SOHC,
I have a popping noise when I turn my steering wheel left. I don't have to be moving for this noise to happen, in fact the video is shot when my truck is turned off so you can hear clearly without the sounds of the engine.
Any help will be much appreciated.

http://youtu.be/Z_dJ37EPJf8

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Video is private I can't view it. But popping a lot of times are ball joints.

Popping... could be swaybar. It could be too loose or just broken. I found that when my balljoints went bad they made an old bed-spring noise when going over bumps but were otherwise quiet when turning or driving smoothly. Could be tie rod as well.

Video is private I can't view it. But popping a lot of times are ball joints.

Sorry about that, I changed it from private now. So would that be upper or lower ball joints?

Popping... could be swaybar. It could be too loose or just broken. I found that when my balljoints went bad they made an old bed-spring noise when going over bumps but were otherwise quiet when turning or driving smoothly. Could be tie rod as well.

I replaced the sway bar bushings and sway bar links 6 months ago. My ride is quiet as ever, no noise when going over bumps...

I'd probably guess lower ball joints as well before uppers, but any of them are possible. What you really have to start with is get the truck in the air and see if you have any play in any of the suspension. Wiggle the tire side to side and up and down and see if there is any movement. Maybe have someone turn the wheel as you look/listen for where the noise is coming.

If all else fails and you can't find it, I always take my truck into Belle Tire. They will look at your vehicle for free, and they even gave me a lifetime warranty on my parts. All I do is pay labor.

^ Belle Tire Michigan and N. Ohio only? Regardless, many service centers offer free inspections. Key is finding the competent ones. ;)

Back