possessed Electrical system... help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

possessed Electrical system... help!

jrseykid686

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester Hills, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer
I posted a few days ago about the door ajar...
02 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
As of today, it started as the car acting like the door is ajar when the car is off and the lights will stay on until the car cuts them off, but when you keep the interior lights off the car acts normal. Now if you turn the interior lights off its fine. Now when you hit the button for the rear defroster the door ajar light turns on. It gets better. As of a few minutes ago, the right, and only the right side mirror flood light turns on with the defroster and it is very dim. I'm getting frustrated with the problem, anybody ever have this problem? and ifso, any suggestions on the fix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow and i thought mine was possessed....how long has this been going on? i had my car not start on me...jumped it nothing...cranked but car symptoms looked like a weak battery...finally got it started and parked it...tried to start it again didnt start...next day it started right up... dropped it off to my mechanic for 5 days straight and he didnt find a single problem with it...been a yr never came back...maybe its one of those flings that the car goes by i dunno...maybe a bad relay? hope some electrical expert can help on this one

I posted a few days ago about the door ajar...
02 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
As of today, it started as the car acting like the door is ajar when the car is off and the lights will stay on until the car cuts them off, but when you keep the interior lights off the car acts normal. Now if you turn the interior lights off its fine. Now when you hit the button for the rear defroster the door ajar light turns on. It gets better. As of a few minutes ago, the right, and only the right side mirror flood light turns on with the defroster and it is very dim. I'm getting frustrated with the problem, anybody ever have this problem? and ifso, any suggestions on the fix?

Yea, its been doin it for just a few days, i tried disconnecting the battery to reset it, nothing changed. It's in the shop now, i explained the symptoms to my mechanic and he looked at me like i was speaking a foreign language. I have yet to hear back from him, but i'll keep ya posted on what it was.. i really hope its something stupid easy that i overlooked

Well, my mechanic called me today, he has no idea what is wrong with it. He said it may be my computer, but has no clue. He has never seen anything like it... its going to the dealer next week and i'm already puckering up for what they are going to charge me.... ANY idea's would be greatly appreciated at this point before i get raped at the dealer.

Why don't you at least take a look at the wiring between the driver's door and door frame? Lots of folks have found a broken wire in the rubber conduit thing. It's usually a ground wire that breaks in there, which can cause various issues with the modules. If everything is good in there than your mechanic is probably right about a bad module - my guess would be the Instrument Cluster. You should get it diagnosed at that point though, rather than just changing out modules. Let us know what you find out.

Back