Possibility of 5.0 kenne bell supercharger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possibility of 5.0 kenne bell supercharger

jssong

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
I just emailed kenne bell about the possibility of a production unit of their twin screw supercharger for the 5.0 X. here is my email mesgs:::

If we had 30 confirmed orders then maybe we will make the kits. It is up to the boss.
----- Original Message -----
To: Chris
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 3:43 PM
Subject: Re: KB SC

How many interested people would you need in order to think of production, and how many people would you need to actually produce?
To: jssong@acsu.buffalo.edu
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 4:59 PM
Subject: KB SC

I don't really know. It seems that there is not much demand for them. Sorry

To: kennebell@kennebell.net
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 8:39 PM
Subject: Question

I own a 2000 ford explorer xlt v8. i was just wondering why you do not have a kit for the explorer, but have one for the newer escape and tribute. i am part of www.explorerforum.com and i know a few members are definately interested in ur kits. do u have any production plans?

:exporange
Who here would be interested in something by kenne bell? they are probably must more reliable then the powerdyne, and i know a few have already planned on supercharging. but 30 people is gonna be hard to find.. but why not try anyways?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man.. a charger would be sweet. But getting 28 more people and waiting for them to produce them is the killer!

I'm getting one:D But it's not going to be for the 5.0:( It's going to be going on an 02' Mounty w/ the 4.6 V8. Just have to wait until the dealer gets one, my mom told them to search for an 02' Mounty w/luxury package and 4.6 V8 in Mineral Grey, but their having a hard time trying to find a Mineral Grey Mounty with those options. Found a few Mineral Greys but they were the sohc V6 versions and some were just base models.

KenneBell has a twin-screw charger for the 5.0 Mustangs, so it wouldn't be that hard to adapt one onto the Explorer 5.0.

They are very reliable, people using them on Mustangs love how reliable they are and the low-end torque is awsome (can't beat full boost through out the rpm band) and the high-end pull is awsome as well. Powerdynes = crap, people have had way to many problems with them, especially guys with Mustangs.

The reason why a supercharger from a mustang won't work on an Explorer 5.0 is because of the difference in Accesory bracket length. If you wanted to, you could install the 89-93 mustang accesory brackets, waterpump, timing chain cover, pwr steering pump, alt, ac, etc on your explorer..... but then you would lose the ability of having a mechanical fan. The 89-93 brackets are a couple inches longer than the explorer brackets. The harmonic balancers are also different and you would have to find a way to mount the trigger wheel and CKP sensor...... a big hassle!!!
Anyway, the point is.......for this reason, the mustang superchargers can't be put on the explorers.

Good Luck
Al

ya, I talked to cobraXP about the differences and as to why a generic kit wouldn't fit.. ford can't seem to standardize anything basically..

well, if they want 30 orders.. they gotta give us a GOOOOD price.

if its considerablly cheaper than powerdyne ($4500) like.. maybe around under $2k for a 6 lb setup, I would at least look into it.. otherwise.. I dont think I'll be doing it..

you know I could about do an engine swap to a 302 with more HP than putting a powerdyne on my truck.. 210+ what? 100 at the most? for $5k installed vs a 345 hp 5.0 crate I found on the net for $3095.. who do they think they're kidding?

i for one would be verrrry interested in this deal. count me in if it happens. i had looked into this a while back but everyone said the same thing about the mustang kits. if i could get my explorer hooked up with a twin screw after i got my 347 put in it would be sooooooo awesome. low end and high end power both ways. cannot beat that.

I live in the People's Republic of California, so if it's not CARB (California AIr Resources Board) approved, I'll have trouble with the smog checks and vehicle inpsections. I doubt that they will submit a S/C for testing and approval for 30 units....

nice try though...

but they already have so many chargers.. arent they carb legal? i think if everyone keeps emailing them and letting them know we are interested.. they might do something about it

You would have a hard enough time trying to find 30 active members on this board that have 5.0s, much less that want to fork out the dough for a S/C.

RObb

I never liked the idea of having a Kenne-Bell on a Mustang. So much instant torque with NO traction.
Now, on an AWD X.
You may be onto something. :D

Lou.

Originally posted by SVO LOU
I never liked the idea of having a Kenne-Bell on a Mustang. So much instant torque with NO traction.
Now, on an AWD X.
You may be onto something. :D

Lou.
Thats why just about every single Mustang owner will use Nitto Drag radials;) Very grippy tires

Originally posted by DarkFox1
if its considerablly cheaper than powerdyne ($4500) like.. maybe around under $2k for a 6 lb setup, I would at least look into it.. otherwise.. I dont think I'll be doing it..
were, in Gods name, did you see the 5.0 Xplorer powerdyne for $4500????? i think the highest i have ever seen it for was around $3700. you can get them from about 10,000 places online for $3100.

also, they would never sell us the KB for $2000. the ultr-popular 'stang kits go for over $3000.

Originally posted by james t
were, in Gods name, did you see the 5.0 Xplorer powerdyne for $4500????? i think the highest i have ever seen it for was around $3700. you can get them from about 10,000 places online for $3100.

also, they would never sell us the KB for $2000. the ultr-popular 'stang kits go for over $3000.
Ha, I was going to say the same thing, anybody else ever notice that when Darkfox says the price of something its twice or three times as much as what anyone else paid;)

Darkfox you live in one fugged up area thats the cause for the problem of your truck:D . $4500 for a charger:confused: and in another post you said they wanted $2000 for stainless exhaust when I know a kid who had a show truck and his dual stainless exhaust was only $700-$800 custom bent. Bro you need to get out of where you live:D

good luck on trying to find a reliable charger for less $2000, you gotta expect to pay around $3000-$3800 on a sweet charger that won't blow your truck up:p

Supercharger for the 5.0 Explorer

Just wanted to let you know, Explorer Express still offers the Eaton kit for the 97-01 5.0 Explorers. This kit is complete, install friendly and is California smog legal (carb # d-487) Contrary to recent rumors, we still offer this package and plan to as long as we can still get the M90 unit from Magnuson (ZD5555 $3499.95). This works well with a stock engine. It offers good drivability and reliabilty. Many owners have tweeked this package for additional ponies. Changing the drive pulley, injectors and cam will add substaintial power. Of course it comes with a price, drivability and reliability. The main reason it will not work on a 5.0 Mustang? The Mustang has a distributor and the Explorer does not! Mustang owners want to know how to make our kit work on their stock engine, it will not. But it is a great addition to a 5.0 Explorer. Why do we feel this set up works better than a Powerdyne? Because we tried it long before we ever developed the Eaton kit. The centrifigul blower does not spool up until about 3,000 rpm's. The redline is only 6,000 rpm's. You have to wait on the boost and power is short lived. Our unit gives you boost at about 1800 rpm's and pulls strong all the way through. We would entertain a group buy with a minmum purchase of five kits. There is more information on our web site www.explorerexpress.com. or contact me directly at (510) 236-1220.

John Vanek,
Explorer Express

Back