Possible Air Leak on Passenger Front Window | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible Air Leak on Passenger Front Window

BOHICA1344

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac XLT 4.0L
Is this happening to anyone else? While I'm driving my passengers can hear what they describe as air coming in the window. I have ridden in the passenger seat and can hear the same thing. When it rains there's no water leak so I'm not sure what it could be. Does anyone know how to fix this, or could it be fixed with in-channel vent visors?

BTW Merry Christmas!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a small air leak on my rear right door. I can see the gaps between door and fender and between the two doors is smaller on pass side to drivers side. I took it into the dealership twice and they blamed the roof rack. My leak is at the top rear of the back door. It only notably whistles (to me) when I drive over the speed limit. For the last year I have been driving the speed limit for the gas mileage.

Mine is also located at the top of the window. If the dealership blamed it on Ford's roof rack, assuming it was installed at the factory, then shouldn't they pay for it or maybe recall the design?

Is this happening to anyone else? While I'm driving my passengers can hear what they describe as air coming in the window. I have ridden in the passenger seat and can hear the same thing. When it rains there's no water leak so I'm not sure what it could be. Does anyone know how to fix this, or could it be fixed with in-channel vent visors?

BTW Merry Christmas!

mine was doing the same thing on both sides..no water leaks just air noise. take a look at the black rubber seal that goes around the door frame and see if it has any gaps. Mine had seperated from the door frame. Ford wanted over 900 to replace both driver and passenger seals so I choose to use sealant to fix it instead. I can take a pic of what im referring to if you need it. Just let me know.

I think all these guys are explaining their water leaks, but you specifically said you have NO water leak, just sounds like air rushing in/by...

I had a similar problem, and discovered that part of the rubber door trim wasn't in place, and had folded over at the corner. Not sure if it was supposed to be glued or not, but I did put a dab of Gorilla Glue on it and taped it in place until the glue dried. Problem solved, no more noise. Those rubber seals will also shrink over time, depending on exposure to heat/cold/etc.. and can then leave a gap. You might have to replace the entire seal, if you can determine if that is the problem.

Not sure of what else it could be.

Same problem here. Front passenger side. Drives my wife nuts. I need to take a look at that weather stripping.

sjones, could you post a pic so I know what I'm looking for? I don't drive the truck everyday so it's not often I go over it. Thanks.

I was able to put my finger on the rubber seal and could hear the noise go away. It had seperated from the frame of the door. So I used sealant and duck tape to hold it back in place.

IMAG0432_zps4bad36ac.jpg

Ahhh I see what you're talking about. I do have a slight gap between the seal and the door where your arrows are pointed. I'll have to have someone ride with me to see if that's where it's coming from. I'll keep you posted if that's where it's coming from. Thanks.

I have the same problem and it drives me crazy, I just push it tight against the door when going down the road and the sound stops. I need to super glue back to the door frame so I don't have to keep pushing it back.

I have the same problem and it drives me crazy, I just push it tight against the door when going down the road and the sound stops. I need to super glue back to the door frame so I don't have to keep pushing it back.

Glad to hear that did the trick. I initially took my ST in to Ford because I thought the window was misalianged and $100 dollars later they told me I needed to replace the seal on both sides at a cost of about $900. One day I was driving and my arm leaned against the seal and the noise stopped so I used some duck tape and sealant and that fixed it, less than $10 bucks.

sjones that did the trick for me. Thanks again!

Yup, a couple strips of duct tape on the metal edge of the door after I pulled the rubber gasket away from it away did the job! Thank you!

I have been trying to figure out the wind noise issue and it was this same issue. Pulled the seal away from the window frame and place a long strip of 3M emblem adhesive and slid the window seal back in place and no more annoying air leak.

I adjusted the plastic sills and that helped. These are the black vertical plastic trim panels with the key pad on the drivers side. There's some screws under the weatherstripping for the glass. If a larger adustment is needed then using 3M tape will likely make more of a difference though.

Back