• Register Today It's free!

Possible Front Differential Issue

alilsum97

Reaction score
City, State
Canyon Country, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I apologize in advance because it's going to be kind of a long write up. So I had a metal on metal noise coming from under my front end and took me ex to get checked out. I was told its a front drive shaft issue, so I had it replaced upon driving home my right front cv boot blew and i had a big leak coming front where the front differential meets the axle. Got the axle replaced, I already had my driver's side boot on it's last legs so on the way home the left side boot decides to go out on me. When I looked under the truck I noticed the right side boot had popped and grease was all over on that side as well and the puddle of oil from the differential to the axle was there too. So both axles got changed and I thought all was well, nope. On the way home I heard a ''clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk'' noise coming from under the front end it was late so I decided to look under the next day, when I went to look under there was that damn leak again from the differential to the axle which had just gotten replaced as well when I looked at the cv boot it looked like twisted I had neer seen a cv boot look like that. The next day I took the truck out of the garage in the complex I live in to park it in a spot outside to do some cleaning and while turning my wheel tightly to park I heard a loud pop in yhe right front when I looked under the cv boot it not even attached to the part of the boot on the hub it is completely off. My question is would a bad front differential cause this? any and all help is appreciated. Thank You. I do have a pic of what the cv boot looks like now to further explain what it looks like at the moment, but I'm on my cellphone and can't post any pics

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so this is what my boot looks like at the moment..

Boy. I guess to answer your question , yes, a locked up differential sure could cause that.

If I were you, I would contact [MENTION=14280]ped5stang[/MENTION] for a new (used) font diff and cv axles. He will treat you fairly on price.

That way you will eliminate by replacement all the front components. :thumbsup:

Which engine do you have? v8? sohcv6? ohv v6?

well the left front cv is still new and the right one has a warranty so that one will b new also so I guess I would just need the differential. I have the awd v8, so my next question would be is the awd front differential different than the 2wd and 4X4 one? and is it different that a v6 one?

2wd has no front diff. :D

4x4 awd are the same thing-as long s the gear ratio is correct.

You mention new cv axles. There are some going around out there that do not quite work on our trucks. If the wheel will not rotate at full droop you got bad one, and I suspect it would blow up like in your picture.

I received a set of bad ones from amazon FYI.

ok cool, guess i'll go on the hunt for the differential then and double check he cv axles the left side is fine just issues with the right side.

ok cool, guess i'll go on the hunt for the differential then and double check he cv axles the left side is fine just issues with the right side.

Jack up the front end enough to raise the wheel off the ground, then try to spin that wheel. See if it "catches"

so I jacked up the front end and the tire rotates like normal.

what part number from amazon was the good cv axles??

go to the junk yard get stock axles at a discount price,, usually they are stock and the proper length,,

i had a cv come apart on me during droop once, it did the same thing yours did,,

did yours come apart because of the differential or just the cv? i might get both from the junkyard because this would be the 3rd axle thats been broken.

Back