Possible to bypass t-case shift motor circuit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible to bypass t-case shift motor circuit

GBillerty

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4WD
Hello!

I have 4WD low engagement problem on my auto-trans '92 X. I mean that the actuator engage 4X4 HIGH but anything with LOW RANGE. I tried to clean/refurbish the shift motor with no result. Then I tried a second shift motor and a second 4X4 switch buttons but still do the same thing. Maybe it's something else like the electronic shift module or shift position in t-case but....?

I'm wondering if it could be possible to feed the shift motor directly from 12V to get it shift to LOW RANGE using a switch. Maybe it could be possible when truck is idle on neutral or engine stopped?

any ideas would be appreciated!

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

possible? yes.
Your problem is likely in the wiring either at the shift motor or at the electronic shift controller.

You can pull codes from the shift controller, it has a self diagnostics mode.

Try a search

This might not help but what I might to do it someday is convert my auto to a manual by removing the shift motor, using a piece of fuel line connected the shaft the shift motor meshes with running the line into the cab and put a handel on the end of it...turn the handel, shift into 4x4/2wd/4lo :). Yeah it's kinda a booty fab but with some creativity (i've been thinking about it for awhile) it could be made to look pretty decent, maybe even use a stock 4x4 lever and modify it so it looks factory. BTW...this isn't somehting I totally pulled out of my butt, rick posted a pic a few months a similar setup...maybe he'll be able to direct you to it cause I have no clue where it might be haha.

Later
cp

The ssetup in question is used in one of the Perry's Explorer's (the yellow one)
I have also seen it in person and its a very clever and effective way to shift the transfer case....

The electric shift system is very reliable, the shift motor is easy to clean, and for the most part they are trouble free. :) (Just what you want to hear right?)

Now have you tried shifting to 4 low with the shift motor not mounted to the t case?
What does it do? attempt to turn? The armature on the shift motor is adjustable.

I searched on the forum for that Rick mod pic but can't find anything...

The past owner of my X installed a "remote ignition starter" ans there is a lot of cutted wires and the installation was the poorest I ever see... maybe I could suspect it.

I will try to check the wiring of the 4X4 switch tonight

any of you guys have a schmatics or pics of that manual conversion...?

I'd be interested to try it

i know this is an old tread but im trying to do the same thing and some pics of this mechanism would be very helpful.

thanks, brad

Manual replacement for electric shift motor on 1st generation explorer.

Guys.I have just removed the electric shift motor and had it lokked over by an auto electrician who gives it the thumbs up.It kept blowing the 20 amp megafusefuse.It worked for a full day and then started blowing the fuse again.

I live in Malmesbury, Western Cape, South Africa and have to be prepared to wait 2 months for spares, so I intend cutting a hole of 15 by 15 centimetres in my floor just above the postion of the current shift motor and installing a turnable knob(read lever) on the triangular shaft protuding from back of the transfer case, then when 4 wd is needed, up with the hatch and turn to engage, and then disengage manually after use again-any better suggestions?. Denzil Holloway.Stock standard Green 1992 manual 5 door Explorer.

Anyone want to post the expensive option price and pics here? I can't get to the link

Also everyone seems to be convinced it's always the shift motor but I don't have the crap one with the stop issue. I seem to have an electicle issue which is why I want a manual solution. Off road only C anyway.

Anyone want to post the expensive option price and pics here? I can't get to the link

What expensive option are you referring to?

Page 1 shows the shiftster option and then a link to an inside the cab expensive manual shift option. The link says I don't have permission.

Page 1 shows the shiftster option and then a link to an inside the cab expensive manual shift option. The link says I don't have permission.

The person who was making them hasn't been on the forum for over a year. His thread was removed because the shifter is no longer available.

On the other hand, the cheap option (The Shiftster) is still available:
http://www.theshiftster.com/

I'd buy one just to have as cheap insurance, as you can install it on the trail with a few sockets if you have to. Might get you out of trouble. That's what I did, and it does work.

On the other hand, the cheap option (The Shiftster) is still available:
http://www.theshiftster.com/

I'd buy one just to have as cheap insurance, as you can install it on the trail with a few sockets if you have to. Might get you out of trouble. That's what I did, and it does work.
What do you do about the range sensor hole when you use the shiftster? Just put a piece of duct tape over the hole?

If I don't do my manual conversion soon (I have that other kit that isn't made anymore.. I think mine's the prototype) I'll get a shiftster to toss in the truck as I have left the trail stuck in 4low before after I squished the electrical connection.

~Mark

Back