• Register Today It's free!

Possible Transmission issue

awhughes

Reaction score
City, State
Kernersville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 exp, xlt sohc, 4x4
I noticed within the past week that the transmission shifting from 1st into second taking longer than usual under light throttle. If I keep the rpm up it doenst seem to happen. Also, I noticed a slight delay from park to reverse. The truck has 155k on it with 30k flushes done at the stock external cooler (4x4) and the trans. filter screen changed one time at 100k. Never towed with it or off road use and never any prior transmission issue. I have owned it since 30k miles.

The fluid level is fine and the color is ok due to recent flush at 150k. No burnt smell either. No OD light flashing so no apparent codes.

Does this sound like the possible valve body loose/leaking and solenoid problems?

1997 4x4 XLT, 5R55E, SOHC

I would suspect that you have low hydraulic pressure from a failing EPC solenoid. 155K is about the average life span of it. Verify your pressure with a 0-300 PSI gauge. Bad valve body gaskets, and loose valve body bolts could cause low pressure as well, but it sounds more like the EPC solenoid.

What value within 0~300 psi is considered low? Also, is this something I can do or does a shop need to take the pressure reading?

Back