Possibly getting an 2021 or 2022 XLT | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possibly getting an 2021 or 2022 XLT

havent read 2021 till today. i would no longer purchase a ford explorer after owning 3 i look for the last of the real wheel drive with the 4l v6
to replace my 04 . looking at the spec. bty when looking at f 150 used the 2.7 are very low compaired with the v6 natural asperated
if you like yours great but load that up or trailer tow any ammount of time or weight its not going to last as long as a v6 or v8

Ahh, I get it. Come into a thread, post on a vehicle that you nothing about, and profess that what you like is the best. Certainly adds value to the conversation about issues with the 2020 and 21 Explorers... You do know the current gen is "real rear wheel drive", correct?

My biggest issue to date with our '21 was the loose nut on one of the covers underneath that cause a rattling noise at speeds above 45... We enjoy driving it and it is a definite advancement over the '07 4.6 V8 XLT Explorer it replaced....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interested in your install on the catch can. I've seen the you tube video where you have to do this from underneath and its getting harder for me to work underneath the cars ( getting older). Catch can on my V8 Mustang is half full after about 2500 -3,000 miles. I did not install one on our 2.0 ecoboost Escape but thinking about it on the Explorer 2.3. I also kind of feel that useing hi grade fuel can prevent this carbon build up problem.
You know it's DI only right. Fuel is injected directly into the cylinder. Fuel only sees the combustion chamber side of the valves. It never sees the stem side of the intake valve...and that's where the oil congeals, and deposits build up.
Having said that, I use hi test fuel also, especially important in a boosted engine, as it prevents/reduces ping, and thus power loss at full throttle due to retardation of fuel and spark via the knock sensors.

It was a little difficult to install as you have to get underneath it. I pulled mine up on ramps and had difficulty seeing to take the pvc line loose. I would recommend getting it on a lift so you could see a little better.
Thanks!

How does a 2020-2021 XLT stack up to a 2017 Limited? I just got my ' 17 out of the body shop and think it may be a good time to trade it up with the ding on the carfax now. Seems to me like the XLT's have most of the options the Limiteds had. Anyone have any more info on this? Haven't got to look at a 20 or 21 close up yet as the dealer doesn't have any right now.

How does a 2020-2021 XLT stack up to a 2017 Limited? I just got my ' 17 out of the body shop and think it may be a good time to trade it up with the ding on the carfax now. Seems to me like the XLT's have most of the options the Limiteds had. Anyone have any more info on this? Haven't got to look at a 20 or 21 close up yet as the dealer doesn't have any right now.
A well optioned XLT gets pretty close to a Limited trim level for about 7 or 8k less. However, I'm happy we found our LTD with the leather, ventilated and memory seats. I think dealer's can discount more on a LTD vs XLT which I experienced. But with the "chip shortage" who knows how much dealing is going on now. My choice was to avoid the sunroof. I don't like them in general and based on reports, I speculated it as being problematic for $2k added cost.

We traded our leased '18 XLT for our '21. I never liked the '18 but I'm biased against large FWD vehicles. For me, the biggest difference was getting used to the "feel" and sound of the 4 cyl turbo in the '21 compared to the V6 in the '18. The 4 cyl Ecoboost is smooth and peppy but also very powerful past 1/2 throttle. The '20 and '21 models feel smaller than they are where the '11-'19 (5th Gen) models felt bigger than it was and sloppy. The current models with their RWD have more of a European feel to me like a large Mercedes or BMW. No, they don't feel German but being pushed vs pulled reminds me of Euro SUVs. I think the turbo creates this Euro feel too like VW and Audi. The '20-21 also feel more responsive than the 5th Gen. Simply put, I look forward to driving my '21 vs loathing the '18.

FWIW, yesterday, I just turned in a '19 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 rental yesterday. I thought I would like it (RWD) but it just felt like an old vehicle. Not worn out, just dated. To be nice, it was not good. The 6th Gen Explorer is a new vehicle in many ways and feels and drives like it. Good looking too. These are just my opinions and some are subjective.

BTW, if you think you will receive less on a trade due to the body damage, you may want to look into a diminished value claim before you settle.

........................................... Haven't got to look at a 20 or 21 close up yet as the dealer doesn't have any right now.
Not surprised. When I went in for the rearview camera recall, the dealer's lot of new and used vehicles was basically empty as was the showroom. As I was waiting, a transport pulled up and unloaded just 2 new vehicles. I would suspect that with the new car shortage, used vehicle prices will likely go up and with little bargaining power for the consumer.

Peter

Ahh, I get it. Come into a thread, post on a vehicle that you nothing about, and profess that what you like is the best. Certainly adds value to the conversation about issues with the 2020 and 21 Explorers... You do know the current gen is "real rear wheel drive", correct?

My biggest issue to date with our '21 was the loose nut on one of the covers underneath that cause a rattling noise at speeds above 45... We enjoy driving it and it is a definite advancement over the '07 4.6 V8 XLT Explorer it replaced....
Do you remember where that loose nut was? I have the same rattling noise underneath of my 20 XLT and it's driving me crazy. Plan to look for this weekend, any pointers on where to look are appreciated!

Passenger side, in front of the rear wheel. There was a nut on the outboard edge of the cover underneath that was only loosely tightened down and you could see the panel move on it when you pushed on it. Tightened it down and no more rattle. Good luck!

Do you remember where that loose nut was? I have the same rattling noise underneath of my 20 XLT and it's driving me crazy. Plan to look for this weekend, any pointers on where to look are appreciated!
In addition to the place that MNgopher mentioned, I believe another member found a rattle caused by the shiels/cover that protects the fuel tank.

Peter

Back