• Register Today It's free!

2.3, Hybrid, or...

Jon M

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I've been away for a couple of years after my 2015 got wrecked. I'm debating between otherwise identical Limited 2.3L or Hybrid, or given all the issues I'm seeing, just not coming back to an Explorer. There are SO many recalls! I thought the 5th Gen had a lot đź‘€.

Thoughts? Obviously I would make sure recalls are done before I bought one, and I'd be getting an ESP. I'm looking at 2021 or 2022.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been away for a couple of years after my 2015 got wrecked. I'm debating between otherwise identical Limited 2.3L or Hybrid, or given all the issues I'm seeing, just not coming back to an Explorer. There are SO many recalls! I thought the 5th Gen had a lot đź‘€.

Thoughts? Obviously I would make sure recalls are done before I bought one, and I'd be getting an ESP. I'm looking at 2021 or 2022.
We've had our 2021 XLT with the 2.3L, 292A and tow packages, and co-pilot assist for a couple of years now. Absolutely no issues and no recalls. It gets fantastic mileage on trips and pulls a 5K lb trailer easily. It runs quietly and shifts smoothly. The only things we've done under "warranty" (really just dealer support) was to get a couple of rim pieces and a rear heating control knob replaced.

=Vic=

We've had our 2021 XLT with the 2.3L, 292A and tow packages, and co-pilot assist for a couple of years now. Absolutely no issues and no recalls. It gets fantastic mileage on trips and pulls a 5K lb trailer easily. It runs quietly and shifts smoothly. The only things we've done under "warranty" (really just dealer support) was to get a couple of rim pieces and a rear heating control knob replaced.

=Vic=
Have you checked to see if there are any outstanding recalls or FSAs for the rearview camera on your vehicle?

Peter

Welcome back Jon. It's been 3 years since I last saw a post of yours. If getting either vehicle, check for an outstanding recall on the 360-degree rearview camera.

Peter

I've had my 2021 Limited Hybrid AWD now for 2.5 years and 18,000 miles It's not the recalls that are the problem it's everything they don't recall but requires a trip(s) to the dealer. I've had two recalls the rear camera and the bolt fracture Sub frame debacle. Never had a camera problem. The 10 speed trans is not ready for prime time in my opinion. Rides great going down the tollway @ 85.

Welcome back Jon. It's been 3 years since I last saw a post of yours. If getting either vehicle, check for an outstanding recall on the 360-degree rearview camera.

Peter
Thanks! I haven't settled on a particular one yet, I'm eyeing a couple and looking for opinions at this point. The recalls are a concern because they're listed as not having a fix available? Is that true? I've read somewhere that it's not that they can't fix it, but that they don't have enough parts? If I see one with the camera recall, should I skip it?

Thanks! I haven't settled on a particular one yet, I'm eyeing a couple and looking for opinions at this point. The recalls are a concern because they're listed as not having a fix available? Is that true? I've read somewhere that it's not that they can't fix it, but that they don't have enough parts? If I see one with the camera recall, should I skip it?
There is a fix for the camera issue. It consists of a new camera and associated software. My 2023 Aviator was held for several months in Chicago awaiting the fix before they shipped it. Those vehicles already on the road with the outstanding recall are to receive the 'fix' when parts become available and as far as I know, cannot be sold by a dealer until the recall has been addressed. The 2020 Aviator I turned in off lease sat on the lot for almost a month before the parts were available and then sold within a day or two.

Peter

We have the Limited 2.3 turbo 4x4. It has 41k miles on it now. The axle bolt recall has been done, we are waiting on the camera. Overall very happy with ours. On summer fuel we have seen mpg as high as 26.5, and that's doing north of 80mph on the interstate. We were considering the Hybrid as well, but after reading complaints about how clunky it is when switching between battery power and the gas engine we decided against it. We bought ours used with around 30k back in the summer and the repair records prior to our purchase were basically maintenance only, so at least our specific unit has had a very good life so far.

Have you checked to see if there are any outstanding recalls or FSAs for the rearview camera on your vehicle?

Peter
I did check last year to see if anything was due on the rear axle issue or camera and there were no outstanding recalls. Ours does not do the auto park brake thing (although I'd wouldn't mind that), so that software change was never done and the rear camera has always worked. We are on the latest version of Sync, too. It gets service done at the dealer and they've not mentioned any needed recalls, either. The vehicle has about 26K miles on it now.

Do you know when assembly was moved from Flat Rock to Chicago?

=Vic=

2020 Limited RWD, with tow pkg, here, 36k miles
No real complaints, had a 6 page RO for warranty work a couple months ago, but that included a couple recalls.
Pulls a trailer well, even though it only managed 8mpg pulling a 12ft tandem axle trailer with a Kawasaki Mule on it. The bottom of the Mule windshield was about equal with the top of the roof of the truck, so a lot of drag.

I did check last year to see if anything was due on the rear axle issue or camera and there were no outstanding recalls. Ours does not do the auto park brake thing (although I'd wouldn't mind that), so that software change was never done and the rear camera has always worked. We are on the latest version of Sync, too. It gets service done at the dealer and they've not mentioned any needed recalls, either. The vehicle has about 26K miles on it now.

Do you know when assembly was moved from Flat Rock to Chicago?

=Vic=
To my knowledge, the 5th and 6th gen Explorers have always been assembled in Chicago. There was a brief period when there was an issue with the 2020 models when they were shipped to Flat Rock for additional quality control. Mysterious problems disrupt delivery of 2020 Ford Explorer, Lincoln Aviator

Peter

Well, after a lot of looking around and test driving, I finally decided on a 2023 Dodge Durango GT Premium. I liked the Explorer Limited that I drove, but I liked the Durango a little bit better. I also had an easier time finding one with a rear bench instead of captain's chairs near me, and Dodge didn't seem to have the troubles Ford did with chip supply, because there weren't any built with features or controls deleted. Getting the Blacktop Package on it got me the black wheels and badges, inside and out, which I couldn't get on the Explorer, without getting stuck with captain's chairs, because apparently Ford thinks people who want the ST or ST Line don't like bench seats.

So, I appreciate the info and maybe I'll be back after this one!

PXL_20240303_194427115.jpg

Back