2022 Explorer ST - Potential Order | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2022 Explorer ST - Potential Order

Extremerc12

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Base
Hello Everyone,

It has been a while since I have been on the forums. Haven't had an explorer in many many years (2014 was the last year to be exact). In any event, with the way the used car market is, I am considering trading in my 2018 Ram 1500 Sport Night and factory building a 2022 ST. I do have a few questions (please note I have been doing research amongst the numerous websites, but I am not getting specific answers when it comes to the ST).

I have been seeing the exuberant amount of threads and reviews mentioning the reliability on the 2020-2022 Explorers isn't anything to write home about. I have obviously seen the many threads relating to the transmission, subpar interiors, running issues after 4,000 miles, etc. What I have not been able to get a read on is does this apply to the ST or are we talking Base, XLT, or other standard models? I would assume that the ST uses its own transmission for example that is not the same as the other models. I drove a 2020 at a dealer recently, and didn't see much of an interior issue, but then again I wasn't really looking for it.

I suppose my question then would be, how is the ST from a reliability standpoint? Are there glaring issues and such that should just have me use my cash on another vehicle all together?

I appreciate any insight.

Thank You
Chris

We bought our 2020 ST in December of last year. It now has over 16,000 miles on it and it's never been back to the dealer for any issues. I really can't say enough good things about it. This has been the most reliable new car we've owned and we have had many.

Mine will be a year-old next month. The second day I had it, I went on a 250-mile round trip drive. Had transmission issues. They replaced the transmission over the next 1.5 weeks. It has not been back to the dealer since. I do have 3 issues with the car, there is a fan whistle when it is above 3 sometimes (it does not matter if it is on heat or A/C), I also have the whistle at freeway speeds sometimes around the passenger mirror, and I just got the recall for the backup camera. I love my ST and have not regrated buying it at all.

Mine will be a year-old next month. The second day I had it, I went on a 250-mile round trip drive. Had transmission issues. They replaced the transmission over the next 1.5 weeks. It has not been back to the dealer since. I do have 3 issues with the car, there is a fan whistle when it is above 3 sometimes (it does not matter if it is on heat or A/C), I also have the whistle at freeway speeds sometimes around the passenger mirror, and I just got the recall for the backup camera. I love my ST and have not regrated buying it at all.

Peter

Back