• Register Today It's free!

Power door lock problems

Komtoon

Reaction score
City, State
Morgantown, West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00
Hi! I'm a new user of this forum, and I need help with my power door locks. I just recently bought my '00 Ford Explorer, and it has some issues with the power door locks. The front driver side door lock won't work with the power lock button on the door, or with the key fab. I took the door panel off and noticed that there is a wire connection that is broken. However I could not find where it was supposed to be connected. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Komtoon

Komtoon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't tell you how to fix it but junkyards are a wealth of information as well as parts. Sometimes a look can be helpful. I haven't had my door panel off but if it won't lock by the switch or key fob, I'd say the wire probably goes to the power actuator. Is the wire "hot" if you hit the switch?

I haven't pressed the unlock button while the panel was off to see if the wire was hot. The end of the wire has a broken connector on it. So I'm not sure where it connected. Thanks for your help!

Komtoon

The actuator, if I remember correctly is pretty much directly under the exposed lock knob about halfway down the door. Find the actuator, it should have clip connection for the power/control wires on the bottom of it, trace the wires to your broken wire. My connecter actually just had a broken clip where it kept falling off so I just took a wire tie and fastened it up good back to the actuator. if your connector has fallen off like mine did, connect it back up and see if it works.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try that and let you know if it works. I have a pretty good feeling that I'll need to buy a new actuator based on how the wire is broken. I'll let you know if I fix it. Thanks again!

Komtoon

Back