Power liftgate TSB

VinceL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Hey everyone. I found this PDF posted on an Edge forum and thought it might apply to some people on here having problems. I realize there is already a TSB posted in the sticky for the liftgate, but this looks a bit different.

Edit: Removed the LINK and posted screen shots below.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't give me permission to view attachment....

Okay, lets try this...

TSBPage1.png

TSBPage2.png

TSBPage3.png

Yay, it worked!

I'm also wondering if the part that says "Liftgate may also open intermittently when parked" is referencing the ghost openings of the hatch that people were talking about in other threads where they were blaming accidental button presses?

Concern typically occurs when ignition is cycled onbeore the hatch is fully closed.

Hmmm, mine does this.if the door is in process the of closing and I turn the ignition on, it will stop closing and thn re-open. I've almost driven off several times with the door wide open.

Hmmm, mine does this.if the door is in process the of closing and I turn the ignition on, it will stop closing and thn re-open. I've almost driven off several times with the door wide open.

Mine too - thanks for posting the TSB Vince :thumbsup:

Vince thanks for the update.

Mine was built Jan 19th 2011, it has done this since I got it.

Thanks for finding this.

Dealer AGAIN told me "Thats a normal condition, Dont cycle the ignition if your closing the hatch"

Adding it to the Lemon List.

Just a little update...

My friend had his Edge in for this TSB. When he picked it up, the service manager let him know that they found an updated TSB for the issue, TSB 12-3-9, that they applied to his car. It was a simple reprogramming of the liftgate controller. Worked like a charm, and hasn't had a problem since.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find the TSB. I did a quick search and came up empty handed. I will try again tomorrow to track it down when I get a chance.

Back