power liftgate reopens when starting Ex.. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

power liftgate reopens when starting Ex..

Mine reverses every time. I had it to the dealership yesterday and they told me, "Could not duplicate concern at this time." I think they only have one key on their computers and it's a macro to print this on the invoice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine reverses every time. I had it to the dealership yesterday and they told me, "Could not duplicate concern at this time." I think they only have one key on their computers and it's a macro to print this on the invoice!

Ask to have a tech watch you as you reproduce the problem. Also make sure you point out the TSB.

Thanks for your comments. Lowering the liftgate is a good idea. Better to hit my head than ruin another tailgate.

Mine used to do it 1 out of every 3 tries and it had to be at least 80-85% closed before I tried to start it.

I will note it closes so fast I often am just getting into the vehicle to start it and it is completely closed already.

Interesting that they improved (increased) the closing speed. It's not a big deal, but the slow-close was something that annoyed me when the Ex was new. Now I just manually close it most of the time rather than wait on it. Why not push the button and walk away? If I am getting in the car, I am ready to start it BEFORE the hatch has closed and mine always opens if I try to start before the hatch is closed.

More interesting to me is that the TSB includes a rain/water shield.... Another reason my Ex is not going to be a long-term vehicle for me.

My wife never completely beleived my story about the liftgate reversing until the other day when it happened to her. She drove down the road with a load of groceries in the back when someone flagged her down and told her the liftgate was up. Fortunately nothing was lost.

I had the TSB done the other day. We'll see how this goes.

how low are your garage doors to have to set the limit? this truck is not even 6' tall

how low are your garage doors to have to set the limit? this truck is not even 6' tall
I haven't really measured the height of my door but it is a standard double garage door. I had to set the limit on my liftgate to prevent it from hitting the door. Don't forget that the open garage door also decreases the height. The liftgate without the limit set opens to a point higher than the roof of the Explorer.

Peter

Ours is a standard size double garage door, and I had to set the limit on our power liftgate to avoid hitting it at the very end of the liftgate's upper limit.

Power Lift gate issue

Alright, I've searched all over this forum and couldn't find anyone experiencing this issue... My lift gate opens flawlessly, but just about every time I hit the close button it gets 3/4's of the way, stops, and reopens. There's nothing in the door jam and it's not hitting anything. It also makes a clicking noise when opening and closing but I've gathered that that's fairly normal. Any ideas?

Maybe your security sensor is faulty and detects that there is something in the way when the panel gets too close.

I would take it to the dealership and have it checked

Welcome to the Forum The Bakeanator.:wavey:
According to some of the posts here, the liftgate will reverse if you start the vehicle before the gate is closed. Not sure if that could be the problem. There was also a post in one of the threads where a sensor caused it to reopen. Have you tried the Liftgate Reset procedure as outlined in your Owner's Guide?

Peter

It should pause for a moment while the engine is starting because accessory is cut off while starting. All cars do this to ensure there is enough battery to start the car.

It should pause for a moment while the engine is starting because accessory is cut off while starting. All cars do this to ensure there is enough battery to start the car.

Incorrect, once the tsb was performed, the tailgate no longer pauses, it closes in one motion when starting the Explorer. Everyone who has had the tsb done has also confirmed the same.

Alright, I've searched all over this forum and couldn't find anyone experiencing this issue... My lift gate opens flawlessly, but just about every time I hit the close button it gets 3/4's of the way, stops, and reopens. There's nothing in the door jam and it's not hitting anything. It also makes a clicking noise when opening and closing but I've gathered that that's fairly normal. Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum, The Bakeanator! I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. Have you dropped by your dealership so they can inspect? What's the current mileage on your Explorer? I'll see what I can do to help. :)

Crystal

Incorrect, once the tsb was performed, the tailgate no longer pauses, it closes in one motion when starting the Explorer. Everyone who has had the tsb done has also confirmed the same.

I can't speak to how it functions after the TSB was performed. However, I can tell you for a fact that accessory power is cut off while the starter is engaged.

Mine's a 2014 and I experience the bounce back, often when its raining or snowing pretty heavily.
I keep some micro fiber towels in my Cargo organizer and usually a quick spray with some detailer along with a wiping around the weather stripping and the base of the door solves the problem.
It can be extremely frustrating as it usually happens when I'm getting soaked and it bounces back 3-4 times while I'm cursing at it and crossing my fingers. A quick wipe, and I'm on my way.

I now give this area a bit more attention when I'm detailing my Ex. I mentioned it to my dealer when I was last in for service and they thought the sensor was probably getting dirty and couldn't replicate the issue at that time.

Welcome to the forum, The Bakeanator! I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. Have you dropped by your dealership so they can inspect? What's the current mileage on your Explorer? I'll see what I can do to help. :)

Crystal

Hi crystal, haven't had a chance, I'm gonna make an appointment for next Saturday if I can't figure out an easy fix here. Current mileage is 44,000.

Also, this issue isn't related to starting the vehicle while its closing. I've just been trying to close it while watching to ensure it shuts and latches before getting in the drivers seat. And I'll give the seal a good cleaning to see if that helps, it was snowing/raining when it was acting up. Thanks for all the help!

Hi crystal, haven't had a chance, I'm gonna make an appointment for next Saturday if I can't figure out an easy fix here. Current mileage is 44,000...

Thanks for replying, The Bakeanator. Keep us posted on how things progress; if you end up going to the dealership, let me know and I'll loop in your regional customer service manager. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine doesn't bounce back or seem to pause when starting. The only exception is when there is heavy snow on the hatch which is understandable.
My old Flex bounced back and it was irritating.

Back