Power locks, interior light problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power locks, interior light problems

axlrodman

Reaction score
City, State
medina,oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
hi, i have read several posts about a similiar problem. The driver side power door locks wont work unless the car is on or the dimmer switch is turned off. Also the exterior lights wont shut off. I have replaced the gem module hoping that was the problem but it didn't fix anything. I tried opening a door and seeing if the door ajar light came on, it did for each door witch leads me to believe that all of the door switchs work. Anyone have any ideas!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

axlrodman, did you ever narrow down this problem? I have a buddy with an 02 Ex that is doing the same exact thing.

I have not, still have no clue whats wrong. Sorry!! Let me know if you find anything out

I just bought a used 2002 explorer and it has the same problem
The only difference is the driver puddle light is out
New bulb did not help still out
Did you ever find a cause for this problem
Were is the gem module??

Is the door ajar warning/light on when you're sitting in the car when it's turned on? Door locks won't work with the car off and the entry lights won't go off? My 2003 Centennial did this, and it was the door locking mechanism at fault. The mechanism is located in the doors, so take some WD40 and spray into each door lock latch gap, then open and shut each door multiple times to lube the mechanism up. This usually happens because the mechanism gets dirty with grime and grit, and gets stuck.

Yeah it sounds like the door jam thingy isn't making contact so the computer isn't reading that the door is closed all the way. I get this every once in a while with my truck and I have to close the door a few times in order for it to read as closed. I should just clean it.

Back