How to: - Power mirror circuit: hard-wiring radar detector, camera, etc. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Power mirror circuit: hard-wiring radar detector, camera, etc.

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

This little project turned out to be a cinch - probably just 15 minutes from start to finish. The plug is easily accessed from the passenger side after removing the cover. Turning the mirror down also made it easier to pull the cover once I was able to get my fingertips behind its edges. Since the diagrams above show the wires IN to the connector, it's not a big deal to see which wires they mate to on the harness.

Here's the cover showing the tabs that latch in to the plate on the windshield:

View attachment 315090

A view of the rain sensing and lane keeping circuitry along with the mirror harness plug:

View attachment 315091

Mirror harness plug, on the right side. Switched power is the white wire out (#1) and ground is black (#3) again:

View attachment 315092

With the mirror tap plugged in and zip-tied to the harness (the 10" wire was more than enough):

View attachment 315093

Cover back on with the BlendMount and radar detector slightly lined up before snugging the bolts down:

View attachment 315094

View from the seat. One nice feature of this Radenso unit is the Voltage display on the right side. It didn't show up in the picture, but it's there in any case:

View attachment 315095

Definitely a worthwhile and easy project if you want those cords out of the way.
How do you release the clips for the cover without breaking them? I tried just pulling but it felt like I was going to break something.
Do you just pull?
Thanks in advance.

How do you release the clips for the cover without breaking them? I tried just pulling but it felt like I was going to break something.
Do you just pull?
Thanks in advance.

Brute force Mike :).

You won't break them. As far as i can tell from this thread and my own experience, no one has any problems with pulling the cover off.

Jay

Back