Homelink/Hardwired Radar Detector Mod | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Homelink/Hardwired Radar Detector Mod

Skynard

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Suburbs
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I was looking at a way to hardwire in my radar detector and noticed that there was a plug on top of the overhead console. I did some research and found out it was a plug for the homelink module that I don't have.

After probing around with my meter, I discovered that the homelink plug is powered on all the time. I don't like when auto manufactures power the homelink units on all the time, so I decided to do a wiring mod to correct this as well as have my radar detector turn on/off with the ignition key since I will be splicing into the same circuit.

The wiring mod is simple, there is a multipin connector on the drivers side door pillar. The Gray/Yellow wire is powered on with the ignition and the Light Green/Orange wire is powered on all the time. The Light Green/Orange wire feeds the vanity mirror lights and the homelink circuit. These two wires are next to each other. I simply cut the Light Green/Orange wire and spliced it into the Grey/Yellow wire.

After this I soldered in my radar detector power cord just upstream of the homelink connector. I used liquid tape and electrical tape to secure the wires in place.

The only drawback is that the vanity mirror lights will not work without the ignition key in start or run.

Below are a few pictures I took:

img0010il.jpg

img0011bki.jpg

img0013kb.jpg

I have to be honest. I hard wire everything into my vehicle to turn on with ignition and to turn off after so many minutes. Everything is on the same fuse as the radio (Sirius, GPS, etc).

It is not too hard to do this and I would not condone slicing OEM pre-run wires. I would be more afraid of modifying this then leaving it powered in the dash. Just my two cents.

Back