• Register Today It's free!

power moonroof question

cardio75

Reaction score
City, State
WInston Salem, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I've got a problem with my power moonroof on a '96 EX. I believe it's either a bad relay or a bad switch. If you can help me, here's the deal:

Using the switch on the overhead console (where your garage door opener goes in most EX) I can open the moonroof to the vent position and close it. I cannot get it to retract into the roof at all (it simple stops after it closes from the vent position).

Here's why i think it could be the switch or relay:
When i push the switch and the moonroof is operating, i can hear the "pop" a switch makes when it's getting power. When I push the swith to retract the glass into the hood, i don't get that "pop'.

Here's where I (think) I need help:
I need some help figuring out how to open or dismantle the center overhead console (without damaging it cosmetically) so I can look at the switch.
I also found a group of relays under the driver's side dash that I don't know what they operate. I'd like to know what they do incase they are related to my sunroof problem.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

:usa:

Mine did this too, I got lucky though all it needed was a whole bunch of lube sprayed in the tracks and opened & closed a bunch of times & hasn't done it since ;) Welcome to the site

I to have a moonroof problem on my 97 explorer , mine does'nt operate at all , so any suggestions on roof console removal and inspection would be greatly appreciated

Back