Power pulsing turbo noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power pulsing turbo noise

Reaction score
City, State
St Peter Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 explorer sport
Recently bought a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport 73000 miles on it and when accelerating at 60 it will pulse the RPMs will trickle back and forth at 5000 5500.
At lower speeds I can hear the turbo whistling and not whistling whistling not whistling as an accelerating you know if this is a wastegate problem or a fuel problem. Or purging when you're just accelerating. At slower doesn't seem to do it as much but when you stomp on it you can feel it pulsing I would call it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you checked to see if all the turbo hoses are tight?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you checked to see if all the turbo hoses are tight?

Peter
No I haven't. I just purchased it from dealer with some warranty. What should they check for when I bring it in?

If you're bringing it in, just have them check "pulsing noise" just have them verify that the turbo hose connections are tight. On the early Sport models, mainly 2013 and '14 there were issues with the hoses coming loose. That resulted in a loss of power, not exactly what you are experiencing though.
I found this thread as well. Is that somewhat similar to your issue? https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/lunging-during-acceleration.480515/

Peter

Anyone find what’s causing this? My 2016 sport does this,mine pulses power like boost kicks in then drops off kicks in and drops off, I really notice on a long uphill on the gas fairly good

Back