• Register Today It's free!

Power seat question...

spotdog14

Reaction score
City, State
East Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Ok, so the wife got a new car (2010 Ford Fusion) and now I am driving her 2002 Explorer after we traded in my 1995 Explorer.

I have a question, we have an XLT that has a power drivers seat. Is the seat a 6 way power seat or is it only 4 way? The reason I am asking is because the seat does back and forward, and the rear of the seat goes up and down, but when I press the button for the front of the seat to go up and down the button moves like it should but the seat does nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its a 6-way on my 02 mount.
It should be Back/front, tilt forward/back, up/down.
Sometimes if you are at the extreme limits of the up down the tilt function wont work or vice-versa. So in reality the tilt and up/down features are linked.

Its a 6-way on my 02 mount.
It should be Back/front, tilt forward/back, up/down.
Sometimes if you are at the extreme limits of the up down the tilt function wont work or vice-versa. So in reality the tilt and up/down features are linked.

Interesting, the up down works fine, but no matter what I cannot get the tilt function to work. Maybe ill take the seat out and have a look see.

Should be an 8-way, no?

1-2 forward back
3-4 straight up and straight down (the fore/aft knob pulled up or pushed down)
5-6 front up and down
7-8 rear up and down

or so I thought that's how my '03 was...

If you move the vertical position of the seat to roughly half way up, all four tilt buttons should work. If not, you may have a switch or motor problem, or simply a loose wire.

My recently purchased '97 E/B does not have a lever to tilt the seatback on the drivers side. There IS one on the passenger side, so I assume mine is simply broken off and missing. Fortunately the seatback is in a decent driving position. Mine also has the power lumber (which is also not working on the driver side).

At least on my 02 Mount:
Drivers is 8-way (6-way powered).

1-2 Power forward and back
3-4 power straight up and straight down
5-6 power Tilt up and Tilt down (its combined w/ your 5/6 & 7/8)
7-8 manual recline forward and back

You cant tilt the front up without the back going down...

At least on my 02 Mount:
Drivers is 8-way (6-way powered).

1-2 Power forward and back
3-4 power straight up and straight down
5-6 power Tilt up and Tilt down (its combined w/ your 5/6 & 7/8)
7-8 manual recline forward and back

You cant tilt the front up without the back going down...
Its not an 8 way, I have a manual lever to tilt the seat back.

Thanks for all the replies, ill take a better look at it tonight.

I have a problem with my drivers side power seat. It won't move up or down in the rear. I took it apart and found out that there was a plastic part that was stripped. Does any one know of where to order parts for the seat track? Or maybe an illustration with names of the parts? or both

2002 EB pass seat won't move

I was just outside since its not raining (at the moment anyway) vacuuming my 2002 EB and moved the pass side power seat all the way up towards the dash but now it won't go back...the tilt functions all work fine...what have I done?

Regards,
Barry

I would think there are three possiblities:

1. The switch itself is bad
2. There is a loose or broken wire
3. There could be something stuck in the track. If it makes a noise at all when you push the button, I would guess this is the case.

Does any one else's power seat seem to go back rough? When I was buying mine this was the only one that had it go back smooth.

Its not an 8 way, I have a manual lever to tilt the seat back.

Not tilting the backrest- you should be able to tilt the back of the seatbottom up and down, and the front of the seatbottom up and down.

If your seats are lowered as far as possible, the tilt down won't work...

I would think there are three possiblities:

1. The switch itself is bad
2. There is a loose or broken wire
3. There could be something stuck in the track. If it makes a noise at all when you push the button, I would guess this is the case.

Skip. What did you figure out with your seat? I have the same problem with the wifes 02 Mountaineer...

Does any one else's power seat seem to go back rough? When I was buying mine this was the only one that had it go back smooth.

My wife's 02 Eddie Bauer Explorer has recently developed the same 'roughness' in the driver's 6-way power seat. The standard design has it automatically move back when you turn the car off and remove the key to make it easier to get in and out. Then when you put your key in (or use the remote key fob) it will move back to the programmed stored position.

This is not a problem when I drive the car (with memory position 2) since I have the seat programmed way back. But when my wife (with memory position 1) gets in the auto-repositioning is very jerky and rough. It's better if she stands outside the car and reaches in to put the key in so the seat moves without the weight of the driver.

I had a shop look at it, they say the right track just seems to 'run rough'...but they confirmed there is plenty of lubrication, and there is nothing stuck or jammed in the tracks.

They are quoting me $800 to fix! They say they can only order the complete electric/mechanical underneath from a dealer, for about $650,then the rest is their labor.

Does anyone have an alternative? I'm mechanical, have rebuilt many cars, swapped engines, etcetera...but I'm also lazy and a bit beyond when I enjoy wrenching. Does this seem to be a common problem, or are the odds with me if I try to source from a junkyard and just swap it in myself?

Let the opinions start to flow in!

thanks,
Paul H.
(former rebuilt engines on 68 Datsun pickup, built one BMW 320 out of two wrecks, heavily customized and wrenched on a Samurai that I nursed up to 250K miles...but I really didn't want to put my fat self under the seat and dash, my back isn't into it any longer...but to save most of $800...yeah, I can wrench for that amount.)

me too

My 2002 driver's power seat will not raise or lower the front of the seat. The rear of the seat goes up and down as usual. The motor runs when the up and down control for the front is actuated but there is no movement. Dealer says it is because a "flexible cable" has broken and cannot be fixed. New seat mechanism is over $1000! Have not been able to locate one.

I normally have to Help my seat along when I move it forward and back.

I was just outside since its not raining (at the moment anyway) vacuuming my 2002 EB and moved the pass side power seat all the way up towards the dash but now it won't go back...the tilt functions all work fine...what have I done?

Regards,
Barry

Barry, my driver does this!
I hate it, all my buddies will stop by my explorer when I am at work and move my seat forward and it gets stuck!
With my seat, I unclip all the power to it, unbolt the seat, pull it out, and grab some vice grips
I grab the long threaded rods and twist them just a little bit
clip the power back in and give it a try and if it works bolt the seat in
if not:
Twist the rods a little more
this is my solution to the problem, but you have to hear the motor like Skip said on his 3rd suggestion
if you move the button and you hear the motor click then the motor and switch are fine, you just have something in the track or the track isnt quite threaded right

I hope this works for you!

My 02 Explorer power seat got stuck in the rear most position. I removed the seat and all checked ok expect the gear box that controls front/rear slider position. The input shaft turned but no movement on the output shaft therefore the gear box failed. The solution for me was a replacement drivers seat from the junk yard.

bt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back