• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering pump or bad rack?

bluestream1

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4
Having issues with my steering. The steering wheel has a "notchy" when turned side to side. Also gets the same feel when going around corners.

The pump is very quite, and the fluid is clean and up to level. Belt is in good shape. Any way to test the pump without putting a pressure gauge in the line? Truck has about 200K Miles and pump is original. All other front end components are good.

ttt

With the engine running, turn the steering wheel back and forth to the maximum travel a few times. See if this makes it smooth out.

If there has been recent work done to the truck which required turning the steering with the engine turned off, this may have introduced a little air into the system. Turning the wheel to it's extremes several times will purge the air out.

With the engine running, turn the steering wheel back and forth to the maximum travel a few times. See if this makes it smooth out.

If there has been recent work done to the truck which required turning the steering with the engine turned off, this may have introduced a little air into the system. Turning the wheel to it's extremes several times will purge the air out.

^This. Very common issue, easily corrected by turning the steering wheel lock-to-lock, though I prefer doing slow figure eights in a parking lot. My theory is that turning the front wheels with the engine off causes the p/s system to suck air in through the rack seals. Once it's in there it must be forced back out by turning the rack lock-to-lock a few times. It can be pretty scary if you're not expecting it. A bit like doing a front brake job and not pumping the calipers back up before your first drive... Whoa! No brakes! :eek:

Back