WHAT DID I KILL? POWER STEERING PUMP OR RACK & PINION | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WHAT DID I KILL? POWER STEERING PUMP OR RACK & PINION

kenc195

Reaction score
City, State
Chandler Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer 2WD V8
2002 Mercury Mountaineer 4.6 2wd, 210,000 miles. I had a leaky power steering system and worn out front suspension parts. I bought a remanufactured Detroit Axle rack and pinion (R/P), new P/S pump, ball joints, tie rods, shocks and upper and lower control arms. Life was good!

After 3 months the Detroit Axle R/P started leaking and after another $800.00 everything was fine again. Well 6 months later the second Detroit Axle R/P started leaking from the same spot. Not wanting to throw another $800.00 away, I bought a $12.00 bottle of Blue Line P/S stop leak. I put it in and within a week the leak had all but disappeared. BTW, in my opinion, Detroit Axel sells useless junk and should be run out of business!!!

However, about 3 days later, my power steering also disappeared! I have no power assist when idle and it starts working when I rev the engine up to about 1500rpm. When turning, I have a whining noise and at speed (45+/-mph) going straight it feels a little like driving on ice. Obviously I killed something with the stop leak. How can I tell if it is the pump or the rack?

Any recommendations on remedy?

Probably the pump...same thing happened to me, used stop-leak and a small leak turned into a disaster.

Back