• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Pump

robby001

Reaction score
City, State
Billings MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Eddie Bauer
I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of the power steering pump failing or have had it happen to you. I have a cousin who has a 98 XLT with the V8 and his power steering pump is on the verge of failing. It is making some very disconcerting noises.

He had said he talked with a mechanic and he told him that those fail all the time and if he would replace it then it would fail again and that it wasn't worth fixing. I thought that sounded pretty ridiculous as I have never heard of a power steering pump problems with the explorers. Just curios on what anyone has heard. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes its possible, im replacing the one on my 95, it makes horribly loud groans LOL

But the mechanic sounds like a retard, yes it is worth fixing and no they do not commonly fail.

Thats what I had thought thanks for the advice on it.

Lol yea, sounds like the OPPOSITE of what most mechanics would say...haha around here they'd be like oh yep, needs replacing, oh yea so ill have to put new this and that in also so bring it in haha they wouldnt be saying thats pointless

but good luck :D

I was wondering do you think that maybe the noise is actually air in the system?

Back