power window issue after replacing power mirror with manual one | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

power window issue after replacing power mirror with manual one

TheAce88

Reaction score
Hey guys,
New to the site, name's Dustin, just trying to get some info to help my sister out. She hit her power mirror on a bollard and bought a manual mirror to replace it. Made the change easy enough by removing the door panel, disconnected the power switches, and accessing the the (3) nuts directly behind the mirror. Once removed, I cut the wires leading into the mirror since they were no longer needed for the manual mirror (Had 2 black (grounds) and a yellow and a red). Reconnected the power switches and reinstalled the door.

Power locks work
Passenger side power mirror works
Power windows do not

Took it back apart, connected the two black grounds that were in the pigtail, thinking it would complete a ground loop....not the case :( Same situation

Power locks work
Passenger side power mirror works
Power windows still do not

Any ideas guys? I'm guessing that the yellow wire was an ignition feed (thinking I don't need this). And red was a live wire (Again, not needed as far as I know since it should be a dead end into the mirror and not be apart of a loop, and since there's only one going in, not one also coming out)

I appreciate any ideas yall may have :notworthy :D

Is the power window fuse good?

The mirror won't effect window operation. Your problem is more than likely a bad contact to the window switches.

Where did you cut the wires? You should just have disconnected the power mirror from the round pigtail located right next to the pigtail connector for the power lock solenoid. Those two black wires should not be in contact with each other. If you insist on leaving that stuff cut, tape off each wire individually.

You should take it back apart and check to see if you damaged any wires first. Then, take off the switch and put it back on, Squeeze on it a couple different directions until your windows work.

Sounds good, thanks FIND. I'll disconnect that pigtail altogether and check for a bad fuse then connection. Does it make sense for the power lock buttons to still work on that same panel but the power windows do not?

Back