power window motor

donaldbc

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Has anyone replace and/or fixed a power window? The front drivers side window stopped working als of the sudden with no signs. How difficult is this, autozone is showing a new motor for $86.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had to lube the gear mechanisim on mine yesterday... its held in with 2 or 3 large pop rivets, which would have to be ground out and replaced... either rivets or bolts with nylock nuts should be fine.

you will have to remove the door pannel and the plastic sheet behind it, but it shouldn't be tooo hard... but you will need a dremel.

the pop rivets on my drivers side door are loose and were making nasty squeaking sounds... i greased them up, but the replacement will have to wait for cooler weather.

Brian,
Before you go replacing the motor make certain it's not a poor electrical connection. Since it is the drivers side
it is possible that the switch is bad, unlike the other doors where you can check it from both that door or the drivers master panel. I was constanatly having problems with my front passenger side door lock. I removed the door panel and then removed the switch. I took the switch apart and cleaned the contacts, it has been working perfectly since. You can use a putty knife or buy yourself a door trim removal tool and you can have the panel off in less than 5 minutes. Once off check and make sure you have voltage going to the motor when you depress the switch. A simple test of the switch would be to disconnect the wiring and using a continuity tester to see if the switch is functioning. As far as the actual removal of the motor I can't help you there since I never had to do it. Below is a link for removal on a 91X but I don't beleive it will be the same. However, there is some information there about getting parts from a source that sounds very reasonable. Hope this helps.

Dead Link Removed

Window motor

Check to be sure its not a bad wiring connection or a switch first.........

But.....

When the motor in my rear door decided to puke and the eat its cable, I went to a salvage yard and picked up a motor complete with the track and cable system for $75..............

The whole system is held onto the door by a few large pop rivets which I ground off with a dremel..........

Overall, pretty easy...a little frustrating if you got large hands...........

I just repaired the two passenger side windows motors on my explorer. After banging off the rivets that holds the motor bracket, I found out that the electrical part of the motor was fine. It was the plastic inside the gear box that had worn. Once you open the black cover on the motor you can see that the metal gear has worn the plastics stops that allow it to turn the gear on the window assembly. I simply replaced the worn (ground up) parts with some 10-12 nuts. I used 3 of them to keep the metal gear from slipping inside of the plastic gear. Only costed my $3.00 in hardware and 4 hours in time.

Back