power window wont work at switches | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

power window wont work at switches

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
Before leaving for work yesterday i went to roll up the windows in my sport to find that the passenger side would not come back up from the down position. This morning I unplugged the connector going to the motor, applied direct power, and the window goes up and down. Neither the Dr or Pass side switch will operate the window and I did not get any voltage out of the switch end of the motor connector when moving the switch. Any ideas? This all began with the window hesitating on its way down and up. With direct power applied to the motor the window works flawlessly.

If anyone has any ideas on what to check or has had this happen before please let me know. I am going out now to untape the wire loom in the door and look for a shorted wire.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

switch side of connector in pass door has power both up and down. with direct power from a battery applied to the motor it will move up and down although it still studders. using the switches yields a slight up and down movement and the motor seems to be binding as the door skin flexes whenever I try to use the switch. bushings? I hope so.. i need my windows down for a local offroad run on the 1st.

where do i go from here?

Thanks to some very useful threads, like this one, I took the window motor out of the door and took the gear cover off to find 2 destroyed bushings and 1 warped bushing. I'm going to try and pick some plastic bushings up at work today, regrease the gears/motor/bushings, and put everything back together tomorrow. Total time taking the motor out with the window up and the speaker out ~5 mins including drilling the third hole.

While the motor is out I wanted to clean and lube the slides. Any tips on how to properly clean and grease the slides? Right now they are soaked with WD-40. I noticed some gunk and build up on the tracks and will try to get as much off as I can. Hopefully this fixes my problem, we'll find out tomorrow.

for my window track slides i just used mobil one synthetic high temp wheel bearing grease ( cherry red colored )

works great ...now just need to do it to the other car in the driveway now

I used the same for mine, however, just the store brand of synthetic high temp wheel bearing grease, don't need all that fancy-shmancy name-brand grease LOL

1993-1994 Explorer XLT Power Window Schematic-4 door, non-Limited Edition.

For Future reference:

Bought the bushings at work yesterday for $8, geesh! This morning I woke up with the intention of something going wrong, im glad it didnt. Greased the worm drive, gears, and bushings and with a little 'effort' got the metal gear drive down on the bushings. Went over to the truck and put some grease on the track, bolted the motor back on, and everything works flawlessly and perfectly!

Thanks to the site and all its users for all of the info to help me get this job done!

Back