Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sao paulo , Brazil
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993/94 XLT Explorer 4.0
Rear Power Windows - 1994 XLT.

Hello all,

I have disassembled entire power window because it was barely lifting the glass. So, I have disassembled in bench, cleaned it all. The motor is good, maintance done in it.

When the structure was disassembled, the glass carrier was sliding great after lubrication. The cables too, when disconnected from structure, it slides great , the reel rolls very smooth.

But when the cable is installed into the structure, it became to be heavy to slide by itself. And I can´t get it better. Used Lithium grease, don´t get better. Cleaned and used cooper grease, no success.

So, the problem is with the cables and reel. any suggestions ? Did you guys have been into this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried to spray WD-40 through the cable sleeve? (if there is one). Have you checked the roller bearing the reel is on?

You could just buy a new regulator assembly. I think they are not too expensive. 1994 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 Window Regulator | RockAuto
dvdswan, thanks for reply.

Here in Brazil doesn´t exist in market, and to buy in US and mail to BR it gets expeeensive.

I have greased all cables and move it a lot into sleeves, to get lubricated. I don´t think the WD-40 will do better, but be sure I´ll test it!
About roller bearing in the reel... it doesn´t have a bearing... just the plastic reel, the casing where this reel sits and a metalic cap... I tried to search photos on internet, to see this reel disassembled, but no success into find one which have it disassembled to look.

Thanks again and i´ll replying here the news

Edit: i´ll attaching some photos
Edit2: Photos uploaded

20240325_124111.jpg

20240325_124051.jpg

20240325_123938.jpg

20240325_123912.jpg

20240325_123903.jpg

20240324_113850.jpg

20240324_113836.jpg

Did you actually disassemble the motor? The motor can appear to work when no load is present, but be failing, such as from internal rust at the base.

Did you actually disassemble the motor? The motor can appear to work when no load is present, but be failing, such as from internal rust at the base.
Yep, I have disassembled, and cleaning all that old grease, and the plastic bits... cleaned the points for rotor, all good, assembled it back, no rust at base or the other edge, top of that axle. When running, the motor has great torque... But you are right, I have seen in other door, one great diference before and after the cleaning and lubrication.

when this structure is all disassembled, the parts rolls so easy, so light.. the cable part looks like grinding when assembled... the cable itself is perfect.

The glass at the door easily goes up and down by hand. I have assembled the structure, and the whole thing works heavy without the motor. Without the cable, but the structure still attached, works great by hand.

But with sooo many lubrication , the glass runs up and down, but so slow.. I made some experience: get the motor from one window which runs OK, and put in this rear window. And the result was.. works slow too. So, isn´t the engine.

I´ll keep searching for a solution, and all comments are welcome! And thank you for replying

I made some experience: get the motor from one window which runs OK, and put in this rear window. And the result was.. works slow too.
In that scenario, I would install the window, motor etc. Wouldn't hook it up to the main harness. Would power it directly from a healthy battery. Also like to start with a 5amp resettable fuse inline. then 10 amp resettable. If the window works fine, you know its time to inspect the harness.

In that scenario, I would install the window, motor etc. Wouldn't hook it up to the main harness. Would power it directly from a healthy battery. Also like to start with a 5amp resettable fuse inline. then 10 amp resettable. If the window works fine, you know its time to inspect the harness.
This is a good idea too. I´ll get a battery to do it, and a amperimeter. let´s see the comsumption and the speed ! I´ll keep posted.

Back