Powerloss from the transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Powerloss from the transmission

raptor_2000x

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I have i 96 Explorer XLT, and during driving the there was a major powerloss. No engine failiure, noe warninglights, no bad sounds, no leaks, enough oil, the transmission just stopped working. No function forward or backward. It just felt as all the pressure just disapered. I can feel the transmission "click" into gear, but there's no reaction until about 3000rpm. Then the vehicle will slightly move at flat ground. I can hear a vauge "spinning" sound while any gearposition are seleceted, but not in N or P. My conclution would be that the torque-converter failed, but I'm not familiar with the sympthoms. Is there anyone out there who are ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for your reply. I have tought of a pressuremesurement, but I didn't know where to find the right outlet. Will it do with an min-max pressuregauge, or do I have to measure an exact value ?

I would start with the fluid level, then move on to a fluid change, then move on to pressure gauges.

Back