• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Vibration/Shaking

grapnell

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 EB Explorer
Hi Folks, I'm new here, and a relatively new owner of a 1995 Eddie Bauer Explorer 4x4.

I just had my transmission rebuilt on my 95 4x4 Eddie Bauer explorer, and everything was fine, it drove great, no problems, except there was a minor leak coming from the transfer case. The repair was under warranty, so I took my explorer back to have the leak repaired. They stated that they removed the transfer case, replaced the main seal, and reinstalled. From the moment I drove the explorer off the lot after the repair, I noticed some major vibration coming from what felt like the transfer case and transmission. I don't think this is co-incidence, I think there is something wrong with their repair of the transfer case. It progressively got worse throughout the day to the point that it felt like it was going to stall the engine out at one point, and I had to stop driving it. Does this sound like it could be the transfer case? Or could this be something completely different, that coincidentally happened at the exact second they "repaired" the transfer case?

Thanks for your replies,

Hi Folks, I'm new here, and a relatively new owner of a 1995 Eddie Bauer Explorer 4x4.

I just had my transmission rebuilt on my 95 4x4 Eddie Bauer explorer, and everything was fine, it drove great, no problems, except there was a minor leak coming from the transfer case. The repair was under warranty, so I took my explorer back to have the leak repaired. They stated that they removed the transfer case, replaced the main seal, and reinstalled. From the moment I drove the explorer off the lot after the repair, I noticed some major vibration coming from what felt like the transfer case and transmission. I don't think this is co-incidence, I think there is something wrong with their repair of the transfer case. It progressively got worse throughout the day to the point that it felt like it was going to stall the engine out at one point, and I had to stop driving it. Does this sound like it could be the transfer case? Or could this be something completely different, that coincidentally happened at the exact second they "repaired" the transfer case?

Thanks for your replies,
Welcome to the forum!
Definitely sounds like more than a coincidence....
Not very sure of what your problem maybe but I would definitely return to the shop and let them take it for a test drive and see what they have to say

Had it towed in this morning. It turned out that it was the new (remanufactured) torque converter that they put on during the initial rebuild. It failed/shattered, and when they took the pan off, there were pieces of metal all inside the pan. According to the shop, apparently it was just a badly rebuilt TC. Do you think it's more probable that it was installed incorrectly, or do you think it was most likely just a bad TC as the shop is telling me? They are pulling the entire transmission again, and tearing it down to check for more damage. Fortunately this is all under warranty.

Jeff

Back