Prayers for injured race fans

Ritsui

Pilot of dogcraft
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Arrowhead, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4x4
Terrible desert racing accident reported tonight at the MDR Night Race...

At least eight people were killed and other were injured in a desert off-road race east of Lucerne Valley in San Bernardino County, according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff's department...

http://www.kesq.com/news/24635773/detail.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't even know what to say...

We were sitting around the fire station today talking about how County (SBCo fire) would probably be busy tonight. I guess I'll be hearing some stories tomorrow...

Such a tragedy. I'm so glad my close friends and i didn't end up going to the race.

...This is truly a sad tragedy for the offroad community...:(

...Prayers go out to those injured, their families, and the driver involved in this accident...We had a few members that were to be at that race and I hope they will check in and let us know they themselves are safe...

Terrible tragedy, but hardly unexpected. Two tons of high speed race truck and human flesh standing within inches aren't a good combo. It's amazing the sport lasted this long in the current format. Every other form of motorsport learned long ago to put barriers between the spectators and the race cars/trucks.

Desert race fans feel they are more part of the action when standing so close, I know I did when I've been out there. At the same time I understood the risk and kept going back for more...

I would have no problem leaving things as is as long as the spectators are 18 and older. Minors shouldn't be allowed to get that close to the track no matter if they are with their parents or not. It's a decision an adult should be making for themselves.

I would have no problem leaving things as is as long as the spectators are 18 and older. Minors shouldn't be allowed to get that close to the track no matter if they are with their parents or not. It's a decision an adult should be making for themselves.

X2 :thumbsup:
Children believe they are safe if their parents tell them they are safe. Too bad some parents don't have the common sense to keep their children out of harms way.

This is surely going to change the no barricade's at these events, as almost every other off road sport has learned from past mishaps of this nature.

Why the driver was being stoned and had to flee for his life is beyond me as well. It was an accident, and the spectators had to feel the risk of danger being so close to the action. I couldn't even drive on a course like that, knowing people were making up the track boundaries.

...This is truly a sad tragedy for the offroad community...:(

...Prayers go out to those injured, their families, and the driver involved in this accident...We had a few members that were to be at that race and I hope they will check in and let us know they themselves are safe...

RJ and carlover are 2 people from our group that i thought might have gone, but neither of them did fortunately.

Just awful.
Read the graphic report about people dying while waiting for the emergency crews.
It most have been a helpless feeling to witness all this.

Reminds me of some of those European road races where each year people get crushed and ran over.

It's just a matter of time before one of those 3000# NASCAR race cars, flips and goes over the fence into the crowed on one of those turns. It almost happened last year or the year before.

That video was horrifying. I feel so bad for those spectators because they didnt even see it coming. It was a complete tragedy. I will definately be keeping them in my prayers. I think we all should.

Those people were way too close to the track.

I was just about to make a thread about this, you beat me to it. It is very sad.

They should not have been that close. I hope no one in that crowd was missled or misinformed where the track was/safe place to stand by any authority figures. I do feel sorry for the family and friends who lost their closest friends/ loved ones. I just hope no one brought their family/children that close with them.

I have always wanted to go to a race like this before in the desert. Never been before. I will note to stand far far back through if I ever do get a chance to go.

thats the way that those races are, spectators stand along the course

lets keep this about what happened, not our opinions on the spectators, shall we?

my thoughts go out to those involved, their familes, as well as everyone that had to helplessly watch.

Why the driver was being stoned and had to flee for his life is beyond me as well. It was an accident, and the spectators had to feel the risk of danger being so close to the action.

That is false information being reported by the media.

I have been following this since it happened last night. Very sad :(

Hello there. I've been a BII owner for a while now. But I'm about to become an Explorer owner as well. So thought I'd join up!

What a horrible, tragic accident. That poor driver must be going through hell right now. Thoughts and prayers for all the victims and survivors.

OH MY WORD, that video is hard to watch... My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those killed and injured and the driver.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sucks. My heart and prayers from me and my wife are going out to those that were there! It makes me sick to know the amount of power and pressure everything we do with our cars/trucks, makes. From road racing to rock crawling. People that are in the way by accident or between the truck and that rock that you never thought it truck would tip and pinch you in there. I love the motorsports with a passion but it is always very hard for me to see people hurt in accidents with the things I love most. They will be in our prayers all week.

Back