Pre runner build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I like it. It will be cool to see it finished.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is gonna be killer!

23u6b7n.jpg

Finally got it back from my friend who was supposed to do the engine cage, sat there for 6 months and he was only able to mount the arms, gusset the mounts, and start on the engine cage. Took it over to another guy who should have it driveable next week. He is finishing up the engine cage and mounting the coils, tripple bypasses and bumps. When i get it back I have to get my front clip mounted and build a bumper. Im also re-wiring all of my lights and accessories to a new panel that will be wrapped in vinyl. Id still like to get the third seat mounted but its not really a priority.

The new fabricator working on it is off to a good start. He has the front coilovers and bypasses mounted and is now working on building the rest of the engine cage and tying it all into the cab cage.

2zdt1f4.jpg

2qd61x5.jpg

Looks good. Who's doing the work now?

Following, sweet build, don't see many of these.

I'm gathering ideas for my cage but not going as intense as yours, any tips or anything you would do different with the cage?

Following, sweet build, don't see many of these.

I'm gathering ideas for my cage but not going as intense as yours, any tips or anything you would do different with the cage?

I like how my cage is but i would have liked it to be a little tighter up front. I later decided to take out the entire dash and AC system so there is now a decent gap. but overall i think its great.

4pd9s.jpg

29dgruw.jpg

206eqmr.jpg

2cwsbc2.jpg

got it back from the fab guy the other day and he finished most of the engine cage and got the coilovers, triple bypasses and bumps mounted. I have a decent list of things to do before its ready to drive but its getting a lot closer. yesterday i started building the new rear wheel wells and they are coming out alright. Still have to finish putting the front end back together, finish welding some stuff thats just tacked in and i have to mount a few things then do some wiring and it will be ready for a test run.

I'd still like to see where your bottom rear shock mounts are on the axle, if you could snap a couple of pictures.

I'd still like to see where your bottom rear shock mounts are on the axle, if you could snap a couple of pictures.

If you want to run the 18's and keep them relatively low in the cargo area, build tabs off the front of the axle about 4 inches long. Make them stout because you till hit rocks from time to time. Upper shock mounting location will also be lower, although further toward, if you have a longer than factory leaf pack.

Actually after I found a pic my tabs didn't hang all that low.

IMG_0019.jpg

octwell_map.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

Thanks for posting that dan.

So im actually thinking about selling it already.. I have 15k into it already with 9k being parts. its pretty much ready to drive, just needs a few little things. I dont want to take such a big hit on this without having used the thing but unfortunately I need the money. id really like to get 10k but shoot me offers. Located in Oceanside CA

Thanks for the pics Dan, I've looked at your truck 1000 times but forgot you had 18s. I already have shock mounts way down in front for the 12s I stuffed in my fender wells, I just wanted to see where his upper mounts determined where the lower mounts go on the axle.

Thanks for the pics Dan, I've looked at your truck 1000 times but forgot you had 18s. I already have shock mounts way down in front for the 12s I stuffed in my fender wells, I just wanted to see where his upper mounts determined where the lower mounts go on the axle.

Yea no worries. When I had 12's under the bed when I first got it i built tabs off the rear of the axle. Since my leaf pack got 21" with 12" shackles I was able to lean the shocks in a little bit to use the whole shock so it lowered the top mounting point a little.

Damn!

Update! So i took my ad down after being very frustrated with it. Got a few issues solved and took it out for some testing. And it did ****ing awesome! I was extremely happy with how the front end handled and the rear was about what i expected being that its stock length deavers and stock shackles just with some racerunner shocks. Ran into just a few small issues but im getting it dialed in and going out again in a couple weeks. Ill get some more photos and a video during the next trip out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry for your loss man,I dont like seeing that happen. At least you can say you learned a lot for the next project!

Back