Premium Sound System with 9 Speakers? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Premium Sound System with 9 Speakers?

Hey guys,

I am new and from what I have read I think a lot of you guys seem to have the Platinum and Sport models around here, but I was wondering about the XLT Premium Audio with 9 speakers. There doesn't seem to be much information about the speaker configuration or the audio system in general.

For those of you who know: what do you think of the premium audio? Is the sound pretty good? Where are the 9 speakers? 9 seems like an odd number, unless there is a subwoofer.

I have a 2017 XLT that I am awaiting for delivery. I'm pretty excited about it. I took an XLT out to test drive and I didn't mind the sound. It sounded decent compared to my old Corolla anyways.

I just couldn't justify a huge upgrade for a better sound system like the Sony... hahaha.. I just want a bigger family mobile.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Martin.:wave:
I have merged your thread with this one found using the handy 'Search' feature (upper right). Check out post #21.

Peter

Hey guys,

I am new and from what I have read I think a lot of you guys seem to have the Platinum and Sport models around here, but I was wondering about the XLT Premium Audio with 9 speakers. There doesn't seem to be much information about the speaker configuration or the audio system in general.

For those of you who know: what do you think of the premium audio? Is the sound pretty good? Where are the 9 speakers? 9 seems like an odd number, unless there is a subwoofer.

I have a 2017 XLT that I am awaiting for delivery. I'm pretty excited about it. I took an XLT out to test drive and I didn't mind the sound. It sounded decent compared to my old Corolla anyways.

I just couldn't justify a huge upgrade for a better sound system like the Sony... hahaha.. I just want a bigger family mobile.

New Explorer owner here! I got my man-van 2 weeks ago and I love it.

I'm trying to track down the speaker size for a 2017 XLT also. There doesn't seem to be that much info online, especially if you don't have the premium sound. I saw post #21, but can't tell if that also applies to a 2017. I have the basic 6 speaker setup. I think the stock speakers sound horrid. They sound completely muffled - the lows and highs seemed drowned out. Can anyone point me in the right direction of the speaker sizes including depth? I only plan on replacing the speakers, so if anyone has any suggestions on speakers that sound great with the stock head unit, then please let me know.

New Explorer owner here! I got my man-van 2 weeks ago and I love it.

I'm trying to track down the speaker size for a 2017 XLT also. There doesn't seem to be that much info online, especially if you don't have the premium sound. I saw post #21, but can't tell if that also applies to a 2017. I have the basic 6 speaker setup. I think the stock speakers sound horrid. They sound completely muffled - the lows and highs seemed drowned out. Can anyone point me in the right direction of the speaker sizes including depth? I only plan on replacing the speakers, so if anyone has any suggestions on speakers that sound great with the stock head unit, then please let me know.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Here is a thread on a 2016 you may be interested in; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...016-explorer-sport-audio-system-build.458500/
I'm not sure if anyone has done anything similar with a 2017.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. That link is pretty helpful. I'm guessing that the speaker size is the same as the 2016, but just wanted to make sure.

MartinF and User5778,

I think post 21 is still accurate for the premium sound system:

Premium Plus 9 Speak 100W
-2x Door Handle Tweeter 25W 80hms (Size: 1")
-2x Front Door Fe Midwoofer 25W 40hms (Size: 6x9")
-2x Rear Door Fe Full Range 25W 40hms (Size: 6.5")
-2x 3rd Row Fe Midrange 25W 160hms (Size: 80mm)
-1x IP Center Channel Fe 25W 80hms (Size: 80mm)

You can always go to a BestBuy, they keep track by taking photos and logging in all speaker information of the cars they work on via a computer network.

I initially thought premium sound system was adequate and certainly sounded good with some songs, but over a short period of time noticed it's weaknesses and had to replace some of the speakers. Since I really liked the sound of the Lexus Mark Levinson system in our SC430, I went with CDT speaker package below:

http://mx-designs.com/3way/mx3692.htm

I only replaced the front door 6x9" speakers, 1" tweeters and added 2" wide range mid tweeters that make all the difference in the world, plus I put an attentuater or volume adjustment device for the center speaker, plenty of room for it and it too made a big difference because initially it was too loud after the speaker/tweeter change out.

MartinF and User5778,

I think post 21 is still accurate for the premium sound system:

Premium Plus 9 Speak 100W
-2x Door Handle Tweeter 25W 80hms (Size: 1")
-2x Front Door Fe Midwoofer 25W 40hms (Size: 6x9")
-2x Rear Door Fe Full Range 25W 40hms (Size: 6.5")
-2x 3rd Row Fe Midrange 25W 160hms (Size: 80mm)
-1x IP Center Channel Fe 25W 80hms (Size: 80mm)

You can always go to a BestBuy, they keep track by taking photos and logging in all speaker information of the cars they work on via a computer network.

I initially thought premium sound system was adequate and certainly sounded good with some songs, but over a short period of time noticed it's weaknesses and had to replace some of the speakers. Since I really liked the sound of the Lexus Mark Levinson system in our SC430, I went with CDT speaker package below:

http://mx-designs.com/3way/mx3692.htm

I only replaced the front door 6x9" speakers, 1" tweeters and added 2" wide range mid tweeters that make all the difference in the world, plus I put an attentuater or volume adjustment device for the center speaker, plenty of room for it and it too made a big difference because initially it was too loud after the speaker/tweeter change out.

That's great information. Thank you. I may end up doing something similar after I get my Explorer. I just couldn't justify going up an extra $10,000 for a better stereo! hahaha.. It would have been a hard sell for my wife. At least I could likely change out a few speakers for some better sound. But, I'll see what I think about the stock sound and then decide.

The only problem with new vehicles is that they make it very difficult, if not impossible, to get a good stereo in the car unless it is built in. Considering everything is integrated into Sync 3, if would be very difficult to upgrade a sound system and likely not worth it. But, I still find it hard to justify going up to the Limited, Sport, or platinum just for the audio. I don't spend THAT much time in the car. I would rather upgrade my home system and spend more time listening to music at home (and I already have a fairly high end system made up of mostly Rotel stuff, although older, at home). Not that the Limited, Sport or Platinum aren't worth it. But, I have 2 young kids who are going to trash the interior anyways, I just think for my needs it might be a little overboard. I am just looking forward to the larger vehicle!

That's great information. Thank you. I may end up doing something similar after I get my Explorer. I just couldn't justify going up an extra $10,000 for a better stereo! hahaha.. It would have been a hard sell for my wife. At least I could likely change out a few speakers for some better sound. But, I'll see what I think about the stock sound and then decide.

The only problem with new vehicles is that they make it very difficult, if not impossible, to get a good stereo in the car unless it is built in. Considering everything is integrated into Sync 3, if would be very difficult to upgrade a sound system and likely not worth it. But, I still find it hard to justify going up to the Limited, Sport, or platinum just for the audio. I don't spend THAT much time in the car. I would rather upgrade my home system and spend more time listening to music at home (and I already have a fairly high end system made up of mostly Rotel stuff, although older, at home). Not that the Limited, Sport or Platinum aren't worth it. But, I have 2 young kids who are going to trash the interior anyways, I just think for my needs it might be a little overboard. I am just looking forward to the larger vehicle!

Very astute of you and you nailed the weakest link in the system, the head unit itself. I can state with confidence a $100 aftermarket Pioneer stereo would sound leaps and bounds better than this head unit. With that said I did the best I could do upgrading the speakers/tweeters, in addition to adding mid-range tweeters to increase the quality of sound. Also, unless your two kids are audiophiles, no need to change the speakers in the second or third row, pure background noise and at best you would hear a negligible difference, if any, in the driver's or passenger's seat.

Hey all,

I have purchased an audio control LCI seven, a pair of 6 x 9 component speakers, a pair of 6.5 speakers, an Alpine amplifier, and all of the necessary mounting equipment. I have a 2017 XLT with the "9 speaker premium" non-Sony sound system.

My only question now is if I should remove the 3.5 inch center channel speaker from the equation. I had planned on summing it out with the audio control device, but then I would lose all the factory DSP which is easily accessible.

Has anybody successfully incorporated the 3.5 inch speaker with a decent aftermarket setup?

PS I went with the Infinity Reference speakers because they were all on sale. There is a matching 3.5” speaker available.

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Back