Prepping for paint work? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Prepping for paint work?

I have a part that I am bidding on through ebay, it already has paint on it but I was wondering what I would do to get rid of the paint and prep it for a new coat of paint / clearcoat

Should I sand all the old paint of, then wet sand, then prime?

Just want to do all this myself if I can so I can keep money in my pocket when I send it off to the paint shop

Chemically stripping works well.
Messy though.

What type of part?
Plastic? Steel?

Generally if the paint is intact on the part, only some minor sanding and prep should be needed. It is not necessary to strip all the old paint off.

If the paint is cracked, peeling, or otherwise damaged, then some additional sanding may be needed to remove all the loose particles. Also any pits or sratches will need to be filled in. Rule is is your can feel the scratch with your fingernail-you need to address it.

You can always go and speak to the painter at a shop in your area you trust and get his opinion......
Good Luck!

well im not sure what its made from.......its either metal or fiberglass.....its a hood scoop that i plan on buying from ebay but it already has paint on it

Since its a hood scoop (not too big), I'd just sand it and make sure there are no pits, etc. If you are having someone paint it for you, I would ask their opinion. See if priming is part of the deal. I'm in body shops on almost a daily basis for work and painters are usually happy to help. They want the end product to look great and can give you some tips based on what they see. Take to part to them. Prep is really important.

You should not need to invest too much time.

I'm considering a hood scoop as well so when all is done, post some pics. Good Luck!!

Back