Pressure Tester Gauge for Measuring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pressure Tester Gauge for Measuring

duke16

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0L AWD XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, that gauge is for testing cylinder pressure, the range is far too high to use for testing you cat.
They do make a pressure gauge that is a much lower range. Look up this ebay auction #

Basic Exhaust Back Pressure Tester Set w/Oxygen Sensor Item number: 250455327464

Thanks.

Is this the best way to test a cat?

The gauge will give you a positive reading, of course you could check engine vac while bringing it up to a fast idle, then back down. Then pop out the O2 sensors and re-check the vac readings.

So I got the above pressure tester ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=250455327464&viewitem=#ebayphotohosting ) and hooked it up, and I'm getting a reading of practically 0.

I have my two rear cats removed. So my setup is 1 cat per downpipe, with an O2 sensor before and after each. I hooked the gauge up to the O2 port closest to the engine (before the cats). Both sides are basically reading the same, 0 bar at idle, 0 psi at 2500rpm. The strange thing is, the needle is bouncing around ALOT. It will not hold steady, so it may be above 0, but I can't tell. Below is a picture of the gauge. Have I done something stupidly wrong? Should the needle be bouncing around like that?

DSC01910.JPG

Thanks

It is normal for the needle to be bouncing around. Since the pressure is remaining near zero, it would appear that your cats are not clogged.

I guess the question is why do you think that your cats are clogged???

Sluggish acceleration, loss of power, bad gas mileage. And I had a rattle from 1 of the cats soon after having my cat-back system installed. It's gone away now.

In addition, I had been driving on a bad spark plug for some time (not intentionally, but I did have some bad misfires, enough to blow out the header gasket). So putting all that together, I thought it was a sure thing at least 1 of my cats was clogged.

thanks... that will help us more. IF those conditions still exist, you might want compression test a few cylinders especially the mis-fired one to see if they are "good". Some times, in addition to washing cylinders with gas to cause a cat problem, mis-firing (non-firing) can cause ring/compression problems depending on how long the condition existed. Perhaps cleaning some components (eg. MAF) might be worthwhile.

Back