• Register Today It's free!

Cheap Shocks

zachow3

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 5.0 AWD
I want to get new shocks. My suspension is all stock but I get a thunking sound going over speed bumps and right when I come to a stop or when I release the brake pedal(from a dead stop). Already replaced upper and lower ball joints, sway bar bushings and end links and had a brake job.

I was looking at these as an inexpensive replacement. Has anyone used these? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...e.diy.valueobject.NavigationItem@64ad59]Again the word is inexpensive. Im trying to save money to finish up my supercharger install. This thumping noise is just annoying.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try www.rockauto.com

Usually the cheaper the shock the shorter the life. but with the key word being cheap that changes the game. also try www.shockwarehouse.com

I have done business with rockauto. They are great. Shockwarehouse seems to carry higher quality shocks but you pay more. If I could run down to Autozone and pick up the Gabriel's and install them tommorrow rather then waiting for a set to be shipped that would be fine. I know they are cheap and if i could get a year out of them that would be fine as long as my ride quality would'nt be affected. Cant be any worse then it is now. Down the road I will budget for "good" shocks. Just need something in a pinch.

I have the gabriels...so far so good...used a monroe for the 5th stabilizer shock. I too will budget for some better ones next year. I think we have the same clunking...you've replaced everything I've wanted to replace...I'm thinking sway bar bushings...I need to do the bj's too.

sway bar link was like $12 and that stopped the clunking

i just put rancho shocks in mine for cheap $45 a piece

Thanks to Turdle I went with the Monroe Sensatracs both front and rear from shockwarehouse. Got a 5% discount and a $20 mail in rebate and free shipping! Cant beat that. Around $35 apiece. :cool:

let me know if this is an un-called-for Hijiack, but I JUST put a new set of cheap KYB shocks on the rear.
could I put a higher quality set of shocks in the front without replacing the rear ones? would that affect my ride quality in a positive manner?
I was thinking about getting the Rancho rs5000 for the front to increase ride comfort. suggestions? comments? concerns?

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...908331+4294907830+4294907048+115&autoview=sku

I just put a set from autozone like the ones you are looking at and they seem to be close to stock they may not last as long as some better shocks
I bought these before knowing about rockauto I would have looked there if I had known about them.

Back