Problem with check engine light(won't start sometimes) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem with check engine light(won't start sometimes)

Nikola

Reaction score
City, State
Skopje,Macedonia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I have problem with starting engine ( mostly when is warm) becouse when I put contact ON check engine light didn't come ON and fuel pump isn'tworking
I solve the problem (for now) in few ways
1. Repeatly put ignition ON and OFF
2.Repeatly trying to cranck without pressing the clutch pedal
3.Put the ignition ON and waiting ( after few minutes check engine light and fuel pump is started)
4.In the worst case I leave and came back after one hour nad then normaly started
That is happen aproximatly 3 times of 100 starting, but without any order or reason
I can't investigate hardly, becouse when I start to do same, usualy problem dissapear
I'm afraid that the total colapse will happen when I will be long distance from any help (somewhere in the mountains)( I think that everybody know how difficult is to tow Explorer on four wheel without working engine )
What is the problem and how can I solve?
Nikola
'94 XLT 4.0 OHV with Mazda manual

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since the problem is so intermittent, I would replace both relays. They are cheap and easy to install.

I've had this problem a few times. One time it was a relay. Another time, it was a broken ground wire that the ECM uses, which is located near the battery. The third time was a burned out fusible link located near the starter solenoid.

Thanks everybody for sugestions. It was EEC Power Relay. I'm answering so late because I don't have same problem since then till today, and I wait to happen and to be 100% sure that I solve the problem. Thanks again.

so it was the eec relay huh. i'll give it a try cuz i have the same problem. thanks.

Back