• Register Today It's free!

problem with going in park

hudson owner

Reaction score
City, State
jackson ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 eddie bouwer and xls
I have a 2000 EB with the 5R55E trans. It will not go in park unless I slam the lever in park. Then when I let off my brake it will roll and click a few times then catch and hold. If I don't slam it in park it will not start until I drop the selector down then slam it back up. I have tried to adjust the cable under the truck but no luck. any one have any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you need to work on adjusting the cable more. I am not sure if the cable design changed from first gen to second gen, but I have a pictorial writeup on adjusting the cable on a first gen Explorer that may help you. If you want it, PM me your email address and I'll send it.

arco777, thanks but I have adjusted the cable a hundred times, done it like the book said? and done it the way I thought it should be done. ( my way!) But it just don't help. Just stays the same or makes it worse. going to try the bolts under the dash tomarow.

Might be worth taking the column shroud off and checking what the mechanism there looks like, if it's latching into place or something is stopping it.

yeah, the shifter lever is so sloppy, think it might have something to do with the mechanics behind the dash.

Back