problem with new paint and side moldings/bumpers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

problem with new paint and side moldings/bumpers

NICE59FORDF100

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
OBD-1 Kenobi
hi. im finally going to be true to my trucks name, Blue bandit, and im getting it painted next week. BUT, the problem is, i dont want to keep the mocho tan moldings and the tan bumpers (you know how the eddie bauers were) and the guy at Macco said that they CAN be painted to match the body color i want (this really beautiful deep blue mustang color), but it probably wont stick. what can i do about the colored rubber (i.e. bumpers, side moldings)? is there a place where i can buy new moldings that CAN be painted, or buy new bumpers:)mad: )? and is there a place with a good selecting of aftermarket roll pans and/or airdams for the 1st gen explorers? thanks yall! btw, im goin to send in my money, and become elite! i need to find some explorer outings here in oklahoma....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is an adhesion additive that can be added to the paint that will allow it to flex with the plastic parts.
Check w/a body shop.

Originally posted by NICE59FORDF100
is there a place with a good selecting of aftermarket roll pans and/or airdams for the 1st gen explorers?

Ahhh yes, the search for a Roll Pan...:rolleyes:

is there a place? i mean for rollpans and/or airdams? good selections

www.explorerexpress.com has airdams. no one on earth has rollpans, one will have to be custom fabbed. not an easy task, either.

i wont get on my Maaco soapbox, but paint can very easily "stick" to your trim and bumpers. all that is needed is proper body prep and a flex agent added to the paint. a paint and autobody guy should know this... sorry, said i wouldnt talk crap about Maaco. :D

what is the best paint service people? i have just gotten around to one bid from macco for 870? anyone else know of a good chain? or a good place in oklahoma city?

Back