• Register Today It's free!

problems get th hood latched down

KobeJ05

Reaction score
City, State
Marina, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer 157k miles
right now the hood is latched on th first part but i kinda slammed it down hard. now i caneven move the latch at all in the grille. any ideas? i need to drive this tomorrow. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i did pull the hood latch on the inside but nothing thanks

Pull on the latch super hard?
Mine is a ***** to pull on, requires both hands to loosen.

i did and still nothing and was working perfectly. you know how the door wont close and you have to pull the door handle and move the latch at the same time to get it right again? thats holw this feels

right now its binded in with the latch in the grille i cant even move the lever. i pulled and pulled up real hard guess it would be ok to drive tomorrow.

Probably just got it on there a little crooked is my guess...

look on the front and see if you have access to the latch, you maybe be able to loosen the bolts some and get some wiggle room to get it out.

Get someone to push down on the hood while you pull the release, or kinda jiggling the hood while you pull the release.

i sat on the hood and put something to hold the hood release on the inside at the same time wouldnt budge. might have to start loosening things. thanks for the replies.

I would still get a buddy to help and do the same thing in the morning. As you move the hood around and have someone continuously trying to pull the latch... but the cable on the release might be broken as well, but I doubt it. Those things are pretty tough.

Might see if you can stick a screwdriver into the latch or something and get it to loosen or pop the hood loose enough so yuo can fix it. I know my latch will loosen up after a while and I have to realign it so the hood is able to be opened.

Mine kinda did the same thing one time. I had to push the hood all the way down and make sure it was latched. Then it released from the lever. G'luck!

it wont even go down its jammed on the latch in the grille. it just looks like the hood is popped as if you pull the release on the inside.

There's a couple of bolts holding the latch in on the front. Can't remember if they come out or not. I think they do...

I had some similar issues with my 94 Ex. I would slam the hood over and over and it would never latch all the way locked. Eventually I got it to latch. Then the next time I went to pop the hood, I broke the cable. So I went to the junk yard got a cable and latch, installed them, and broke that cable too when I went to open the hood. I figured out that my hood wasn't latching because the cables kept binding. So I just cut the cable, stripped off the plastic and made a handle for popping the hood that hides right behind the grill. It works great now. Just another possibility for what you are dealing with.

Back