Problems w/31's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems w/31's

I was told by my local...I know don't listen to Firestone.. Dealer that there would be problems with installing 31's that they 'absolutely will not fit' and 'will damage the control trac system' I think that I a line of B.S. Someone please confirm this.

also I am stuck between the following:
31/10.5/15 Wilderness AT
31/10.5/15 BFG All-terrain K.O
31/10.5/15 Goodyear AT/S

I like the Wilderness but I like the tread of the Goodyear

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will, That's a crock. Take your business somewhere else and do yourself a favor, GO WITH THE BFG's.

Definitely the BFG's!!

Had 31 BFGs put on mine and have not had any problems w/them at all.

As a matter of fact, of all three of the trucks I've owned. Each one had BFGs installed shortly after they were brought home.

Good luck!

i put 31" tires on my truck 6 months after i bought it new, all i can say is they improved the ride and the look. 1 dealer told me the same crock, they wont fit, abs wont work, blah blah blah. if the wilderness tires were free i would still say go with the bfgs...

Go with the Goodyears.

BFGs

Will,

I have the BFGs and they add a little more road noise, but not much. The ride is firmer and more truck like. Also you may need to lift your Xplorer to fit the 31s. I lifted mine 2" and still have some rubbing on the running boards I will be trimming them though and that will take care of it. I dont think they would have fit without the lift, but not positive.

Alan
98 Xplorer

I have a 99 Mountaineer 4x4 SOHC 3.55 gears. Did you notice a big power loss when switching to 31's? I tow a 3500lb boat and would like to switch to a bigger tire, but don't want to be straining on the hills.

in response to lifting for the 31" tires, i had no rubbing probs on the stock 15x7 wheels, at stock height. that may be due to the fact i have a sport w/side step bars, not an xlt w/running boards.
in response to mountaineerman, there is some power loss with the bigger tires, they are alot heavier. but i dont think it is much of a loss. i run the stock tires in the winter and i do notice it is a little quicker. i have the 3.73 towing gear option also.

go with the bfg's you won't be disappointed.

my experience

I had 31" BFG's on my '97 XLT but downsized to 30's because the 31's sat outside of the front fenders and threw gravel on the mirrors etc. I do not have flares but do have factory boards and the 31's left me 3/4 of an inch clearance at the tightest point turning with stock suspension. That's enough for me and I wish I could have bought a 31-9.50. The ATS looks nice but I hated my RT/S's that came on mine so, on the rec's of most people here I went with the BFG's. Haven't put enough miles to draw a solid opinion but so far I like them.

I have a Mountaineer with 31x10.5x15---BFG's and love them. The only problem that I have with them is when I bottom out, they rub up top in the fender well. I never needed to trim the bumper moldings or running boards. I have even towed a 6x12 u haul trailer and guess what, no rear end sag when it was loaded. I would go with the BFG's anytime

Thanks to all...Well I knew that the Firestone mechanic was full of sh$#. I have been hearing the same thing that I could fit 31x10.5 under a stock 97 with running boards. Those who bought the BFG's couldn't fit them without trimming. I have been leaning to the Goodyear's myself, I can tell in the sidewall of the BFG's that they are harder(less forgiving on the 'arse'. I am not enthuased on the price and plan to wait for some kind of sale. I plan to do the 'twist' and add a leaf sometime when the future wife lets me...saving for a marriage is the priority.

Will
97 XLT 4.0SOHC 4X4
SOUTH SUBURBAN-CHICAGO

Again thanks to all and keep the ideas rolling

Make sure you evaluate all of your options before you make your decision. I have 31 inch Pirelli A/T's and I know for a fact that the ride is quieter and smoother than it used to be. Also they have better wet traction and a higher speed rating than the BFG's. Check out the Pirelli's before you buy!

Originally posted by JM Dookie
Make sure you evaluate all of your options before you make your decision. I have 31 inch Pirelli A/T's and I know for a fact that the ride is quieter and smoother than it used to be. Also they have better wet traction and a higher speed rating than the BFG's. Check out the Pirelli's before you buy!

You don't have a pic of those do you?

Will
97 4.0SOHC 4X4
SOUTH SUBURBAN-CHICAGO

Will,
if u are interested in the Pirelli Scorpion AT/AS, they are in this weeks Sears ad for $68.99 with zero% financing til jan. 2002. thats pretty cheap for a 31x10.50x15 tire with a name brand. there is a good picture of them also in the ad, or u could check prices and pictures at http://www.tirerack.com or Dead Link Removed

Go with Pirelli's...

...nice quiet tire and good traction. I've got the stock size and really like them...

Less noise..better ride

Actually instead of the BFG KO's I would personally look at the BFG Long Trail A/T I have the stock size tires and they are excellent. Now they have about 18K. They are starting to make some high speed noise, but the firestones on the other explorers I had driven were louder. These tires are strong, but forgiving. Excellent in snow/rain. Just my opinion...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back