• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Goodyear or BFG

Badali05

Reaction score
City, State
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
I know I want 31/10.5/15's, and the BFG Mud Terrain or the Goodyear MT/R. The only problem is I dont know much about either, if anyone has any info about Tread Wear,Ride Quality, ect. please post your knowledge here.

Thanks, Derek

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Alec

Elite Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 JK
Stupid question: do you really need a mud tire? A general rule of thumb is the more aggressive the tire the worse it is on the street. If you rarely go offroad, an all-terrain or the ProComp XTerrain (a mix of the 2) may be better. I ran BFG ATs and The PC XTs and the XTs were much better in mud than the ATs, almost as good as MTs but much better on the street than MTs.

unclemeat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
I have both. They seem prety comparbe to me. I put BFG on my X because they were cheaper $145 vs $170. I really liked the MTRs, very durable, I will likely get over 50,000-miles on them. Ther is a mud test in this months 4-wheel and offroad comparing them. They liked the BFG a little better.

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
from what i have heard and seen (i work in the tire industry) the mtrs arent that good.. in any condition, all the people i have talked to like rick and tdavis say they pretty much sucked... the bfgs are soft, and dont last as long as a car tire, but i havent heard any real dislikes for them..... also if you are planning street use, the bfg at is great....

Bushw@cker

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I love my BFG ATs. From what you are saying, it seems you don't really need MTs but I may be wrong. My ATs do awesome in the snow, rain, and the mud I have been in so far. If you aren't doing anything real serious they are good. I know a lot of people reccomend the Dueler ATs. Another tire you may want to check out is the Cooper Discoverer ST.

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
also tread wear and ride comfort are basically going to suck with any mud terrain type tire for the most part....

32to1

Reaction score
City, State
Haleyville, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT, '95 Z/28
everyone i know w/ MT/R's love em, some BFG owners have complaints...theres my .02$

Badali05

Reaction score
City, State
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
Thanks alot all for your great advice.