Programming duplicate/extra key | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Programming duplicate/extra key

3rdy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT base V6
i only have one original key from previous owner, the one with remote (3 buttons) and a duplicate key from local locksmith that can start the engine (only key no remote). Now I’m planning to buy another key form ebay, my question is if the two existing key I have can self-program a new key or should I bring it again to dealer or locksmith.

thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd deactivate all other keys if I were you. When my friend bought his car from a shady person from craigslist. The original owner tried to steal it back a week later because he had one of the original keys. Just a tip.

I'd deactivate all other keys if I were you. When my friend bought his car from a shady person from craigslist. The original owner tried to steal it back a week later because he had one of the original keys. Just a tip.

can i do that my self seating on the car? or should it be from the dealer?

Check your Owner's Guide under, Locks and Security, Programming spare integrated keyhead transmitter (IKT) keys. The procedure and requirements are shown there.

Peter

Check your Owner's Guide under, Locks and Security, Programming spare integrated keyhead transmitter (IKT) keys. The procedure and requirements are shown there.

Peter

from the manual:

You can program your own integrated keyhead transmitters or standard
SecuriLock coded keys to your vehicle. This procedure will program
both the engine immobilizer key code and the remote entry transmitter
portion of the IKT to your vehicle. Note: A maximum of eight coded
keys can be programmed to your vehicle; only four of these eight can be
IKTs with remote entry functionality.

Note: At least two already programmed
transmitters are required to perform this procedure yourself.

i think i found the answer, thanks peter.
now that 1995E mentioned about deactivate the other key that the previous owner claim it was lost, now i'm paranoid :) :) i know i need special tools to communicate to the car computer to do this, anyway i try to ask the dealer on my next service. or maybe someone know how to DIY. please share :D

thank you and drive safe

We have 6 keys for our 2006 mustang but I only programmed 4 last time (2 orig, plus 2) and the key that I didn't program will no longer start the car (it used to).

I would assume the explorer works the same way.

I don't remember if the fobs work the same way though.

~Mark

the remote transmitter that i bought from ebay is not pairing to my explorer, the supplier claim that those remote will work to the newer model, so i'm just curious it really the newer model of explorer can have this aftermarket remote to work with or it should be integrated or anything like that or perhaps the remote itself is really the problem...

Knowing which key you were supplied would help...perhaps a pic or part number or link for it. How are you attempting to program it?

Does it actually enter the programming sequence? Doors lock and unlock when you hit the 8th cycle with it on? This is programming for the police explorer. The civilian model does not use that type of transmitter that I know of. It uses an IKT which requires a totally different programming method.

Does it actually enter the programming sequence? Doors lock and unlock when you hit the 8th cycle with it on? This is programming for the police explorer. The civilian model does not use that type of transmitter that I know of. It uses an IKT which requires a totally different programming method.

yes it does, when i hit the 8th cycle in on position the doors lock then unlock and a chime sounded. i have two IKT keys, one is the original with remote and the other is without (program by local locksmith)

Those generic keys have about a 20% chance of working. I work at a dealership and cannot tell you how many I've seen come in. hate to say but if you want another key with fob, you gotta shell out the $185ish bucks for the ford one

Those generic keys have about a 20% chance of working. I work at a dealership and cannot tell you how many I've seen come in. hate to say but if you want another key with fob, you gotta shell out the $185ish bucks for the ford one

i see, $185? in here the dealer price is $350 a piece. will try to buy OEM re-manufactured key fob. i found one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310982330862?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

hope this will work.

To see if that programming sequence actually works re-program your existing FOB to it.

To see if that programming sequence actually works re-program your existing FOB to it.

i did actually, when i press the remote of the original IKT key it sounded short horn. does it mean the programming sequence actually work for this method.

I am only familiar with it on the squads so there is no horn honk for them but the door locks cycle for each remote your program. Not sure if that helps.

do you know where i can find the fcc id of my remote key fob? is it written somewhere on the remote?

I noticed it says you are in the Mid East. Was the vehicle built for the non US market. If so it very possible it uses a different frequency FOB. All FCC type numbers would be on the plastic of the ikt when you remove the battery cover. Take a pic of the oem unit that you have and post it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back