programming new key | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

programming new key

jlrapp8

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 mercury mountaineer
Hello i have a 02 mountaineer. i have one working key and 1 key thats not programmed to truck. every place a call wants to charge around $100 to program the new key. i have heard that if you have 2 keys already programmed than you can program a 3rd by yourslef??? but you cannot if you only have 1 working key???? anyone know anything about this????? every dealer i call wants to charge me 100 bucks just to program it and im sure it will only take them a few mins?????? THANKS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are right!! If you have pats key and only one of them you need the dealer to program a second one and they CHARGE you for it. After that you can program up to 8 key (including the first two) IIRC!

Sounds about right. Always a good idea to have at least 2 keys safely kept away in case you need to program a 3rd. Otherwise the stealership and locksmiths will gouge you for that second key.

been there, been gouged too, although i did bring my own cut key in and they only charged $45. I now have 3 keys in case i lose one.

Where are you located? If you can find someone local with a Auto Enginuity or similar PC based scanner utility, they can code your other keys.

Where are you located? If you can find someone local with a Auto Enginuity or similar PC based scanner utility, they can code your other keys.

im located in southern california. not sure how i can find someone with that. i have called every dealer and a locksmith and they are all about 100 bucks????? so when i call around what should i ask???

Silly question....Do you need a special kind of key for the programming or will any properly cut key work once programmed?

Silly question....Do you need a special kind of key for the programming or will any properly cut key work once programmed?

It will work just like your other programmed keys. If you have 2 working keys, you can program it yourself. If you only have one, you'll need the dealer's assistance. The 2 key requirement is so people can't go around programming blank keys to other peoples vehicles.

Back