Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
I joined the J**p Posse! :eek:

It's going to be my long-term project (like I have any other kind).

Specs (as far as I've discovered):

1976 J**p CJ7
Came with a 258ci from the factory and it was the 64th CJ7 off the line that year.
It now has a Chevy 350ci from a '75 C10/C20.
Has a handful of smog stuff half on it, half in boxes.
5 great 33" tires with newer wheels
Nice bumpers (front is an air tank.. maybe rear too, not sure :p: )
OBA
Stock axles I believe and not sure on the gearing yet.

Basically I was handed this J**p in four boxes and a pickup bed full of parts. I still have a lot of pieces to shift through and figure out what it's going to take to get it to pass emissions.

Pics:

001.jpg

002.jpg

Bringing her home

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Dash

006.jpg

Nice tire carrier

007.jpg

Easy rollin'!

008.jpg

Ch*vy?!

009.jpg

OBA between the seats.

010.jpg

What my poor garage looks like now. :(

So.. who wants to help? :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your fords have the thing surrounded,,

hey off road is off road,, as long as it doesn't turn you to the dark side,,

funny-picture-darth-vader.jpg

You're getting as bad as zukman, at least they're not all Explorers:p:

:p:

You need a different motor to get it to smog. There is no way that a 75 motor will smog in a 76. I would try to find a 4.8 or 5.3 LS motor and swap that in. That would make for a nice running jeep. I will admit that I have fun wheeling Tracy's jeep from time to time.

Matt.. I've read that you would need a '76 motor or newer for smog reasons. But doesn't that mean you would just need the 350 to have '76 or newer smog components on it? The only reason I know the block is from a '75 is from decoding the serial #. This thing already has exhaust manifolds setup for EGR and a smog pump, etc. Would the referee care that the block happens to be from a '75? But, I wouldn't mind throwing in an EFI setup... maybe a 351w from a FSB. :D

Not a bad start! Those bumpers look huge, some simple 2"x4" with angled ends would look much nicer and you could still make them airtanks. Please paint over the Chevy logo on the grill screen. Im not against the Chevy in the Jeep since I have one myself but the bow tie just looks dumb on a Jeep.

That is an interesting hood :wtf:

Silly California and their smog laws! A 75 SBC shouldnt have any smog stuff on it stock, that must have been swapped on. I just took apart a '85 SBC with a full smog package. If you are missing anything let me know and I might have it. I would put a TBI on there from an 89+ truck and call it good or go all out and do what Matt said with the LSx truck motor.

Matt.. I've read that you would need a '76 motor or newer for smog reasons. But doesn't that mean you would just need the 350 to have '76 or newer smog components on it? The only reason I know the block is from a '75 is from decoding the serial #. This thing already has exhaust manifolds setup for EGR and a smog pump, etc. Would the referee care that the block happens to be from a '75? But, I wouldn't mind throwing in an EFI setup... maybe a 351w from a FSB. :D

Pretty sure the block needs to be newer as well. I know it is stupid but them be the laws. When we did the engine swap in Tracy's jeep I am pretty sure the guy checked the numbers on the block. We used a 98 motor in a 84 so it was pretty easy to tell it was newer. We got nailed for not having the proper air cleaner. Overall it wasn't to bad to get done. I still need to finish cleaning up the wiring. Its only been 8 years sense we did the swap. Actually the whole jeep needs to be rewired. So when you figure it out on yours I will bring ours up and you can do it next :D.

With the stock axles they should be the narrow tracks. I would try to at least get Wide track cj axles (81-86) to get some width in it. Actually if you plan on just 33"s and not to hard of wheeling I would do a wide track 30 front with alloy axle shafts and an explorer rear with spacers or new axle shafts and bolt pattern. Keep an eye on the front hub bolts. We have had a problem with them coming loose then breaking. Locktite and lock washers seemed to solve it. We aren't sending alot of power to our axles but with 100 to 1 crawl ratio we put the gearing to it. It will drive right through the brakes in low if you don't push the clutch in.

Also add a brace to the steering box. They like to pull off the frame without them. Tracy's jeep has a 20 gallon tank in it that hangs down low. It was always getting smashed by rocks. We added a kilby skid plate and have no problems with just bouncing it off rocks. Her york air compressor is badass. Sure wish I had one on my ranger.

You're getting as bad as zukman, at least they're not all Explorers:p:

LMFAO!! OMG is a good thing a wasn't eating or drinking when I read this....

Quote of the week:D

Thanks Matt and Brian. Matt.. do you have any sort of writeup on her swap? When you say you used a '98 motor.. you mean its fuel injected? Or did you just use the long block?

I'll get some close up pics of the motor so you can see what I'm dealing with.

Yes, the hood is interesting. :p:

No writeup on her swap. it is an 84 cj7 with a 98 tj 4.0 complete motor and engine wiring harness. From memory there were only about 6 wires that had to be hooked up to get it to run. We also had to use a 98 tj instrument cluster to get the check engine light to work. We used all the OBDII stuff and if you plug the scanner in the motor thinks it is still in a 98 jeep. The motor we pulled out was so bad you could turn it over by pulling on the fan belt by hand. The nice thing about this swap is we were able to use the original motor mounts and radiator. We also did a NV4500 transmission at the same time.

If we were to do the swap again we would probably do a 4.8 or 5.3 LS motor with a 4l60e transmission. In 2004 ish these were not as cheap and plentiful as they are today.

Okay.. I'll be looking for a 350tbi I think. Found an entire '91 with a bad trans for $1200 on CL. Can probably get it cheaper. Thanks guys

I see Dr Pepper
th_smiley_emoticons_energydrink2.gif

I hope this thing was a deal...cause it looks like a lot of work. Just a tought, look at propane conversions, way better fuel economy than a carb, can run on severe angle. Not as fuel efficient as EFI but Im not really a fan of TBI.
http://www.gotpropane.com/

Looks like you will keep busy. 4 vehicles keeps this guy busy. what does the wife drive these days?

^WHOA....Who's That guy!!! :eek:

Just joined the JEEP Crowd

I had to sell some cattle off because of the drought going on here, and since I have been throwing money at my ZUK, I told my girlfriend I would use the cow money to buy her, her JEEP.We went and looked at this one Friday night and drove it home....
DSC01637.jpg

DSC01636.jpg

DSC01638.jpg

The guy we bought it from also threw in the hardtop, 2 bikini tops a half top with rear cover, a set of scout 44's (F/R) high steer knuckles with pit man/tie rod, a new 38" TSL (spare), FI intake and wiring harness (I need a throttle body). All this 4500.00. We do have a few things that we have to fix/replace, but thats what you get with a used vehicle.

^^^ That looks like fun :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back