Project Lazyboy SAS... | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Lazyboy SAS...

So just bought the wife a new 2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost she told me I can have the Lincoln Aviator and do whatever I want with it. So I am going to SAS this beast. Already started collecting parts. This time I am going full widths.

Here is pic of the bosses new truck...
20120805_095252.jpg

Project Lazyboy 2003 Lincoln Aviator 4.6 DOHC 5 speed auto AWD.
20120422_174132.jpg

Plans for the truck
3/4 ton Chevy leafs rear.
Ford 9.75 5.13 Detroit
F150 High pinion Dana 44 5.13 electric locker
Custom long arm set up with coilovers
Electric shift BW1356 (should fit since the frame is wider and gas tank is on the pass side).

I should be starting the build in the next couple months. We are getting ready to move so I may not start until mid/late Fall. Stay tuned....:D

Oh and if anyone wants some upgrade parts for there Explorer or Mountaineer the Lincoln used Aluminum front control arms and I think a few other things like bigger brakes all that stuff will be for sale. Also the Aviator has 4.30 gears in it now those axles will be up for grabs when the time comes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good.....so does double r's brother lol

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

looks good.....so does double r's brother lol

Thanks man! I had Wrangler guy call out my SAS Fords as a joke so challenged him to wheel off his TJ against my 92 Ranger (Double R). He was quick to say time and date publicly but as soon as told him to message me to set it up not a peep out of him. HAHAHA he must have been feeling extra trollish that day....

Thanks man! I had Wrangler guy call out my SAS Fords as a joke so challenged him to wheel off his TJ against my 92 Ranger (Double R). He was quick to say time and date publicly but as soon as told him to message me to set it up not a peep out of him. HAHAHA he must have been feeling extra trollish that day....

I've shown up plenty of Ja-Heeps with my SAS ferds. I love rubbing it in their faces. The only heeps that give me a run for the money are the built JKs, and Juggies.

Edit: hit the button too soon, sorry.

Hey Stang, just wondering - after you cleared out all the IFS/IRS parts, what do you think the minimal lift possible for an SAS would be, while still having descent up travel?

I know that cursed frame hole and accompanying low spot in the rear could still be problematic. I was sort of thinking though that one could cut/grind that area for more clearance, then just reinforce the upper part and over the hole.

I'm quite interested in a x2 SAS, but mostly for additional strength, more availability of parts and to rid myself of 2wd. 37s and 7in of lift on a Sport Trac would be a sight, but also a massive poser-mobile given my realistic offroad needs.

Thanks and good luck finding a t-case.

Hey Stang, just wondering - after you cleared out all the IFS/IRS parts, what do you think the minimal lift possible for an SAS would be, while still having descent up travel?

I know that cursed frame hole and accompanying low spot in the rear could still be problematic. I was sort of thinking though that one could cut/grind that area for more clearance, then just reinforce the upper part and over the hole.

I'm quite interested in a x2 SAS, but mostly for additional strength, more availability of parts and to rid myself of 2wd. 37s and 7in of lift on a Sport Trac would be a sight, but also a massive poser-mobile given my realistic offroad needs.

Thanks and good luck finding a t-case.

You might be able to do get it down to 6-8 inch range on lift. Yeah still looking for a case. Every time I find an Ex that has the right case some has already nabbed it. I wish I would have known it was a special case I know I have passed on many of them last year.

WOW looks great.. Reminds me of my 99 I did but yours is way nicer...
Looks like I'm going to have to do the same on the wife's 02 eddy...

WOW is all i can say this is awesome! how much would you say total build cost was?

Had some time today decided to give Lazy some love.

Out with the struts and in with some coils...

20130715_111758_zps73976b07.jpg

My math was right on first try. I was cheesing since I wasn't 100% sure.
20130715_112343_zpsaf3b59cc.jpg

Front is only about 1/2 higher then the rear now. Which is fine since I plan on building a winch bumper for it. Pass side after lunch.

So picking up some parts for some jobs I have coming up. And as I am walking I just about trip over 4411 just laying on the ground. I have been looking for this tcase for months. Plus I found all the parts I think I need for the power steering. Must be living right to just stumble across the 4411.

20130716_114446_zpsfbf45035.jpg

New toy should make life easier!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1wHRsdbqKE&feature=youtube_gdata_player">YouTube Link</a>

Nice!
How much did that set you back?

Around 10k I am still buying stuff for it but I am excited that it worked on the first try. My brother helped me get the program working. Should be offer a bolt in TTB to solid axle kit for the D30 here soon.

Had to modify the old oil adapter using the Lincoln adapter and an Explorer adapter I picked up. Using a small chunk of hose I was able to make clearance for the hydro lines for the steering box.

20130920_145552_zps6da7289b.jpg

I read this whole thread a while back and it gave me inspiration to start SASing my 3rd gen explorer. Right now I'm just collecting parts to do the swap. I was wondering of you could go a little more into detail about what parts you used to make the steering work tho?

I read this whole thread a while back and it gave me inspiration to start SASing my 3rd gen explorer. Right now I'm just collecting parts to do the swap. I was wondering of you could go a little more into detail about what parts you used to make the steering work tho?

Just used a F150 box and combine stock steering intermediate shaft with F150 one. Then I built a brace to hold it. Not sure what else you want to know. I have a new box I need to swap in one I used was mock up box that I use for builds it works but it is a piece of junk. I need to finish the hydro return line. Been pretty busy and weather has been crappy so I have not finished it. My helper moved so I have been struggling to keep up working by myself.

Back