Project: RangerX gets full width D44 + 8.8 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project: RangerX gets full width D44 + 8.8

I've talked about it for years, but today it's official. :D
I have taken possession of a HP D44 out of a 79 F150, and an 8.8 out of a 91 F150, in a deal I could not pass up from 90ranajo. :salute:
Don't know when I'll actually start the procedure, it may be a few months, but when I do, it will be a very basic, verrryyy bargain basement type of build. The front will be your basic radius arm, coil spring setup, and the rear will be my current leafs bolted to the new 8.8. I will aim for max flex from this setup, and probably modify/improve on it slowly over time, as funds permit. ;)

Her is some photographic proof. D44 is complete, but partially disassembled.
(chihuahua for scale :p:)

Attachments

• 111907 004.jpg
    111907 004.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2,079

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any updates on your parts collecting for this project?

Also I was cleaning some stuff up and found your soldering iron I borrowed from you along time ago. I'll give it to you at truckhaven or next time I pass by your house at a reasonable hour.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

hey bill hows the hunting going? I am working on a new write-up of my swap, its all a little fuzy as it has been a while but I will send it asap!

Is it time for an update already??? :confused:

I think I did mention this would take a while. ;)

More parts accumulated! From Dannyboy, as seen in his pic on page 1 of this thread, extended radius arms, crossmember, tracbar, steering, coil bucket, shock mounts, bushings, etc. :cool:

Also, a few months back, I got a set of 4.88s for the 8.8 from Kris G. :cool:

More parts in a few days. :D

Attachments

• parts 006.jpg
    parts 006.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 494

...:bounce:...So when is the start date of the build???

Bill you have caps right? Didn't I give you a set...:scratch: I can't rember what I gave you. :confused:

Caps? Not sure what you mean, Steve. :confused:

You gave me a swaybar and a set of hubs...

Caps? Not sure what you mean, Steve. :confused:

You gave me a swaybar and a set of hubs...

caps, for those arms you just got...you know the front part of the axle. I have a set if you need them;)

RadiusArmCloseup.jpg

Ohhh, CAPS. :D Yeah, I got those, just didn't put them in the pic. What I don't have is the coil plates, or whatever the bottom mount is called, that's in your picture. Got any?

Ohhh, CAPS. :D Yeah, I got those, just didn't put them in the pic. What I don't have is the coil plates, or whatever the bottom mount is called, that's in your picture. Got any?

I'll have to check...but I think I do;) The caps I have also have a shock mount on the top of the cap. Some of the bronco's came with double shocks;)

Congrats man!:thumbsup: I dont know how I missed this thread but I'm watching now.:popcorn:

I am building some simular raduis arms with my buddy for his full size bronco. We also put a bend in the DOM we added. I will let you know how they work in a few weeks;)
BroncoArms.jpg

Interesting, Kirby. Let me know how they work, you'll be wheelin LONG before me!

Here's what I picked up today for $80. I really just wanted some roller rims, so I can start work on the axles, but a friend had these rims with tires. Tires are 2 BFG MTko, 2 ProComp XTs, and a goodyear on the spare. Tread ranges from 25-50%. The rim in front has a dent in the lip and won't hold air, from when he totalled his truck in the desert. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• new marq 004.jpg
    new marq 004.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 412

nice score, any carnage pics???

Bill, one thing I really like about Kirby's setup is the plating on the radius arms, I think it was discussed in BKennedy's Dana 44 thread that the "I-Beam" style of radius arms can really work over the inner lugs of a tire, they get hung up and chewed up in there pretty bad.

Those rims are sweet. I bet you can get just one to replace the bent one. There is also a shop that straightens them here pretty cheap- might be an option. The tires would make good spares too.

That plating was a pain in the butt to cut out with an angle grinder! It is all 1/4". When we got those arms done, my buddy said "I should have spent the $700 on cage arms!" We are using 2.5" Johnny Joints because I hate heims with a passion.

That plating was a pain in the butt to cut out with an angle grinder! It is all 1/4". When we got those arms done, my buddy said "I should have spent the $700 on cage arms!" We are using 2.5" Johnny Joints because I hate heims with a passion.

or should have bought my extra set of arms:D

I got the lower coil seats and retainers. You can have them if you pay shipping.

Sure, I'll take them. Shipping to 92054. Are they the same for all years? Mine's a 79.

They are the same;)

Back