Pros & Cons between a lunch box locker and and full out locker? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pros & Cons between a lunch box locker and and full out locker?

tha704mafia

Reaction score
City, State
MOORESVILLE, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Ok first off whats the diffrence if they do the exact same thing then why is the "lunch box" lockers cheaper than a full out lock like a detroit. Are they just not as strong or whats the deal. I have no clue on this stuff guys so help me out please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't tell you the difference between the two, but I can tell you about my lunchbox locker I just installed. Its an Aussie Locker in my 8.8

It does not require removal of the carrier or any r&p setup, so its a DIY in a couple of hours. It locks the axles when under power, will unlock while coasting if turning. Mine works very well, the only drawback I know if is when turning on pavement, say pulling out of a business onto a roadway, I often spin my inside tire because it is rotating the same speed as the other side. I try to pull out at an angle rather than make a 90 degree turn to help that, but can't always do so.

o ok so like if i put one in the front it wouldnt kick in until my gay trasfer case kicks in 4hi when the back tires spin.

also what about a lock rite

o ok so like if i put one in the front it wouldnt kick in until my gay trasfer case kicks in 4hi when the back tires spin.
Thats incorrect -- if a lunchbox locker was put in the front of your '99 Explorer, it would be working all the time regardless of wether or not the transfer case is in 4wd or not. "Non selectable" lockers (which is what most lunchbox lockers are) work all the time -- unless there's some sort of a disconnect between the wheels and the locker (hub lockouts, axle disconnect systems such as those found in 95-96 Explorers, and so on...)

Back