Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
svocover.jpg

The cover shown is the SVO cover. The cover available says T/A instead of SVO and is $30 less, but everything else is exactly the same.

For those who are interested:

The TA Rear End Girdle is based on the Geise Girdle developed in the early 1970's. TA
Performance bought the remainder of the patent, and began to produce an improved and upgraded
version of the Girdle. After refusing to produce a less expensive, thus lower quality cover for large
parts wholesalers, TA Performance soon found that copies of their cover were being produced and
sold. Though the other covers look very similar to the TA cover, many important qualities are
different. An independent dealer that was considering which product to promote, purchased one of
each cover and performed his own tests. He placed each cover, one at a time in a hand operated
press, and pumped the jack, the "copy" cover began to flex while he was still able to pump. The TA
cover never showed any signs of flexing, even after it was impossible to pump the handle any further
and with the 200+ pound man hanging off of the pump handle. Also the fit and finish, and quality of
hardware was noted, so the TA cover sold itself. Recently TA Performance did a quick check of this,
by using an air powered press, at 10,000 PSI of pressure there was no signs of flexing. The TA cover
is also the only cover to be tested and approved by a leading auto manufacturer. Ford Motor
Company spent 2 years evaluating the TA cover and approved it for their SVO line. Yes, the SVO
cover is made by TA Performance, for Ford. TA Performance produces their own covers at their
Scottsdale, Arizona facility, utilizing CNC milling machines. The TA cover also uses specially made
hardware that meets the highest specifications, no "off-the-shelf" hardware is used, everything from the
washers to the mounting bolts to the load bolts, were designed and manufactured with the ultimate in
strength and durability factored in, for a cover that will perform every time the throttle is floored, and
everytime that the wheels bite hard or break free, you will be glad that the Ultimate bolt on support
for your rear end is silently at work. Even the gaskets are specially made, to ensure the highest sealing
capabilities and to reduce dissimilar (galvanic) metal corrosion. TA Performance produces and sells
thousands of covers annually, through a network of dealers and directly to the public, so ask your
dealer who manufactures their cover, and if they don't reply TA Performance, then you might be
buying a false sense of security. Our covers are used in applications as varied as the Motorsports
Industry itself... From Street Cars to 8 second drag cars, from weekend off road trucks to 700+ HP
Baja Trucks.

* The TA Girdles are made of 356 aircraft grade aluminum, heat treated to T6 specifications, each
cover is then stress relieved.

* The covers are machined using a 3 step CNC process, which ensures accuracy and quality.

* Each cover is hand deburred and inspected for the utmost in fit and finish. Then each cover is hand
assembled and packaged.

* All Girdles incorporate a Fill Port and a Drain Port for ease of servicing.

* All Girdles incorporate 2 load bolts with swivel "feet" for supporting the bearing caps.

* All Girdles increase fluid capacity approx. 1/2 quart.

* All Girdles show a decrease in operating temperature

* Average weight, 7 lbs

* Improves Undercarriage Appearance

The T/A cover goes for $159.00 plus shipping. No Tax outside AZ. (480) 922-6807

Ford/Dana Stud Kit TA 1816 4 stud kit, replaces stock bolts on carrier bearing caps 19.95* whn purchased with cover, 24.95 when purchased seperately. (480) 922-6807

Tell them I sent you, I would love for those guys to advertise here :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Web Site?

Rick,
Do they have a web site?

Rick.....how did you like the skidplate from http://www.fourxdoctor.com I just got off the phone with them getting a price. Not too bad if the quality is there. I give these guys a call next week sometime about there stuff. The sad thing is that I was going to post something on this. I wanted to try to get some plate before Truckhaven....this just might do the trick.

where

Rick: Where did you get the SVO one?

I got the SVO one from them sort of under the counter. They actually won't sell them to the general public. Please don't even ask them, it was a special circumstance. I screwed up my old T/A cover and they replaced it with the SVO which was actually a blem, it wasn't good enough to send to Ford so they sold it to me for a reduced cost.

I've got the same exact T/A cover, except I got it from Moser Engineering (axle manufacturer) a couple years ago. So instead of it saying "T/A" it says "Moser Engineering". Moser just has T/A put their name on it. Nonetheless, they look cool and work great. I paid $160 for mine.

To add: If you get one, make sure you put thread seal on the fill and drain plugs, and also the load bolts. Otherwise, they will seep.

cool

Darn..well I'm not an SVO fan anyway but maybe they can make one that says something else ;) Does this mean Ford sells the SVO cover for the Explorer?

Are all the bolts on there allen heads? Do they come with it? I'm not to hot on Allen head stuff for bolts like that..even the fill and drain bolts...if you strip em you are screwed. This product seems worth the $$ just for the reduced temp and good looks, but the biggie is the drain plug..what a novel idea.

Leebo..I wanna get their Dana 35 skid for my front, so lets get a group purchase together and get a discount :D

i paid 130 for my TA cover. It gives alot more support to the rearend. Not like i have massive hp's, but in any case it looks awesome.

I got mine from Jegs. Is this the same quality or strength as the T/A or did I buy the wrong one?

Re: cool

Originally posted by Anime4x4
Darn..well I'm not an SVO fan anyway

Are you saying that you don't like factory involvement and R&D dollars for aftermarket parts? I'm a little confused. I think SVO is great. Part of the reason that the Ford aftermarket is so strong these days is directly related to the push from SVO. Of course SVO is no longer known as SVO it is Ford Racing. Either way it is a great organization.

Mine isn't quite so pretty anymore.

New:

Dead Link Removed

not so new:

Dead Link Removed

no

I think factory involvement in all that is great..I just dont like it when they select "certain" vehicles for such products and when you DONT have one of those particular vehicles you cant get ANYTHING and when you ask you get a bunch of snotballs with an attitude who think youre stupid for trying to get performance parts for something THEY dont make performance parts for.

Of course, it changes from time to time and manufacturer..10 years ago there was little if any support for the "Sport truck" market...Dealers didnt think such vehicles had any purpose and only a small following...

I'm wondering why Ford is having SVO covers made for a vehicle they refused to make anything SVO/Racing for since it came out...is there now other products for our vehicles or its really for a Ranger and we're just lucky?

I was also just thinking about all the testing on these..what about actual impact strength? I know the steel ones dent and bend, but might the aluminum crack or break?

Re: no

Originally posted by Anime4x4
I'm wondering why Ford is having SVO covers made for a vehicle they refused to make anything SVO/Racing for since it came out...is there now other products for our vehicles or its really for a Ranger and we're just lucky?

The cover is not vehicle specific. There are part numbers listed for the cover for the Ford 7.5", Ford 8.8" and Dana 60 rearends. The 8.8" axle girdle will fit any vehicle that has an 8.8" rearend.

Supply and demand. If you want a supply of parts then go out there and demand it! Companies respond to pressure from consumers, without pressure they see no need to produce anything special for that vehicle. By the way, even though aftermarket parts are hard to find you can get them if you know of another application that the part works with. Ford has the best interchangability of any auto manufacturer. Chances are that something already exists. You just have to search for it. As a side note, I am sure that you have noticed that replacement parts for Explorers are EXTREMELY easy to find. Most autoparts stores have what you need in stock every time. To say that aftermarket support is not there is incorrect. If you say that specialty aftermarket support is not there then I fully agree.

Anime4x4, SVO carries the 8.8" cover more for the Mustang guys than for any of us truck guys. I agree about the attitude 100%. I even heard it from a couple of the Ford engineers who came with us to Moab last year.

The attitude sucks, I agree. The cool thing for me is going out on the trail with people who give me that attitude. After a couple of hours they change their tune. Even parts stores will change their attitude too. My local 4x4 shop has changed the way they think about Explorers quite a bit. One by one we will change the minds of the shops and with that the manufacturers will come around. It is slower than I'd like but I bet it will get better.

stock hight

If your explorer still stock hight. You will need to trim the spare tire hanger. When I installed this, the spare tire hanger would scrape the cover. I had to trim the hanger with a hack saw. I wish I would have caught this sooner now I have scrathes on the cover... But this thing is not going to break very easy.

Originally posted by Mac
I got mine from Jegs. Is this the same quality or strength as the T/A or did I buy the wrong one?

Kevin,
Which one did you buy? The Ultimate or the Granatelli?
I got the Granatelli.

Ray, I got the Ultimate one I guess because mine only came w/ new bover bolts. What is the difference?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey... i thought you could buy the SVO cover??? Ive seen if for sale at least...

nick

Back